Talk

Advanced search

how can I learn to love breakfast?

(13 Posts)
supermariossister Thu 27-Mar-14 08:31:53

I have about 3 stone to shift, I am keeping track of what I'm eating and making better choices along with a lot more exercise. love vegetables and am getting there with fruit and trying more things but breakfast is a real stumbling block I just hate eating in the morning and regularly don't, getting up at 7 but waiting till lunchtime to eat anything. I like breakfast products apart from porridge but eating early in the morning makes me feel horrible. what kind of breakfast things do the breakfast refusers find work for them.

Inbl00m Thu 27-Mar-14 08:39:05

I hate breakfast too (although I'm eating it for the first time in my life atm as pg) but find that a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon in is a fairly good start to the day, and then try and follow that up with a snack (piece of fruit) at about 10am. Think lemon and hot water in the morning is meant to be good for weight loss as well.

DuchessFanny Thu 27-Mar-14 08:46:29

I sympathise ! I'm dieting and really struggle with breakfast .. However this week I have been boiling eggs the night before and having a boiled egg ( alone) as it's not too big and really fills me up. I'd love to be able to eat porridge, but the very idea makes me blurgh !

supermariossister Thu 27-Mar-14 12:12:37

the thought of porridge makes me itchy, don't know why just never been a big fan.I have been having lemon and hot water for the last few weeks as I like that. not sure if it's helping so much. I feel so much better more eenergetic and less bloated. boiled eggs might be a good idea they seem small enough to be ok!

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 13:53:25

Don't eat breakfast then.
If you don't like it and you have weight to lose, your body certainly does not need it.

Breakfast is only essential for the cereal manufacturers

Make sure you have something to drink - water or tea or coffee - NOT fruit juice
and then last through till lunchtime

you are carrying a few thousand calories of reserves on your hips, so long as you stay hydrated, why eat if you are not hungry?

if you need snacks, go for high protein - scrambled eggs are excellent
and for snacks, things like nuts are great

BrightLightsAtNight Thu 27-Mar-14 15:49:42

What time do you eat dinner?
If you have meals late, then you're probably not hungry so early in the morning or you may just not want it. Regardless, don't eat it if you don't want to.
I find if I eat a big breakfast, I want to keep eating all day. If I have a small breakfast or no breakfast, I eat less all day and lose weight.

supermariossister Thu 27-Mar-14 16:32:01

like scrambled eggs, haven't really ever eaten nuts what kind of nuts would you suggest as snack? my problem is when I snack it is usually on convenient crap. evening meal usually around 6 so not too late. I get up pretty early just don't have the inclination to eat as a few of you have said I am more forcing myself to eat something after the lemon water rather than because I actually want too.

LaTrucha Thu 27-Mar-14 16:38:22

I would try eggs. I never thought I would eat them for breakfast, but for some reason I tried it and felt really full up to lunch time and now I love them because they stop most of my snackiness. If not eggs, I have cheese and ham with a small piece of toast. I can't do without them now. My name is now Mrs Egg in my family

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 16:55:12

supermario
I'm rather into cashews and pecans at the moment

buy a big bag and then decant a few into a pot and have that to hand the rest of the time
then you'll never need to "nip into the snack shop"
both money and waistline saved

Waitrose do 400g of cashews for £5

another great snack is a whole raw carrot chopped into big pieces
takes ages to eat, fills up your tummy
stuff all calories

supermariossister Thu 27-Mar-14 17:07:47

I prefer raw carrot to cooked so that's a good idea and I will definitely buy the nuts and try that convenience snacks are in the house for packed lunches and it really doesn't help the budget or my waistline dibbing into them. custard creams are my downfall, I shall have to ration them and replace the biscuit breaks with nuts or carrot. I like eggs I need to get into a habit of having them in hard boiled ready so there is no haven't got time excuses. thank you for all of your help

TalkinPeace Thu 27-Mar-14 17:22:35

tbh a 2 egg omelette takes less than 3 minutes ....
or scramble 2 eggs and serve on a slice of ham .... 2 minutes

and indeed, NOBODY in the house needs custard creams - stop buying the sugar

FunkyBarnYard Thu 27-Mar-14 17:24:29

I have poached egg and mushrooms most mornings. I used to skip all breakfasts. I have lost 3kg since 25/02

There's a calorie counting thread I'm on here. It's been great to share with people day to day smile

supermariossister Thu 27-Mar-14 17:28:11

The egg plans sound good and easy to do on busy mornings which is great I have a poaching pan also. I will give that a go tomorrow morning. I love mushrooms, would have them with everything I will have a look for that thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now