Talk

Advanced search

Am I in "starvation mode" by accident?

(17 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 07:42:53

I rarely eat carbs and wanted to lose the last of my baby weight. I am 5'2" and still a stone over weight according to a BMI calculator which is on the high range. I wear a size 12, sometimes - rarely - a 10 in some shops. I am hovering around 70kgs and have lost about 6kgs. I want to be around 60 kgs. A typical day of eating looks like:

Breakfast - Banana
Lunch - tin of canned soup with some added bacon and kale
Snack - some fruit, mango or orange
Dinner - curried chicken made with stock (no coconut milk or cream - so just stock and spices) and a portion of broccoli.

I completely cut out all carbs - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread - so where I'd have dishes with those things, now I just have the protein and a portion of broccoli instead.

I have stalled losing weight. It should be falling off me with how little I eat but it's not. I am still BFing but it's only one a day, sometimes two maximum. I have always had a high-ish BMI in contrast to my actual size because of muscle (I did a LOT of weight training). My waist is 28 inches/ hips are 38.

I have read about starvation mode theory - that your body clings onto fat because it doesn't know what's happening. This seems like a pretty wild theory but I can't understand why the weight loss is not happening. I am not intending to starve myself. But should I start eating more to kick start things? Obviously not go mental but have I inadvertently sabotaged my weight loss?

magic8balls Tue 25-Mar-14 07:47:15

Hi, I don't know much about losing weight but it seems like you aren't eating enough. Also you do need carbs, they are important! Have you tried doing the 5, 2 day diet? I started with 4 normal days and 3 low cal days and then moved onto 5 norm, 2 low and it does work

GingerRodgers Tue 25-Mar-14 07:51:57

That still a lot of carbs although not refined ones. The soup and fruit have a lot of sugar in.
You'd be better having eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch and snacking on cheese and nuts.

procrastinatingagain Tue 25-Mar-14 07:55:53

I'm no expert, but it looks like a lot of carbs to me too. Maybe you need to double check the carb counts?

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 07:58:41

Hi - thanks for replying! I know carbs are important, I intend to re-introduce them slowly and in moderation once I've reached a weight more healthy. To lose weight I've focused more on protein and vegetables. I actually eat really well - lost of protein and vegetables and dairy and beans/chickpeas. I am wheat intolerant so pasta and bread have always been massively reduced because they make me feel so crap.

I don't think I have hidden sugars anywhere - I rarely drink and don't drink sodas, just water. I eat a lot of fruit and once a week have a treat - cake or whatever. But generally my food and calorie intake is relatively low so I'm wondering if I've messed my metabolism up? Does this happen easily or is it one of those things people hear about but rarely happens?

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 08:00:47

Is it all the broccoli? I know broccoli are carbs so I wonder if I should have more leafy greens? Cut out the tinned soups full of sugar?

Procrastinatingagain I'm not completely clued up on carbs - just think in terms of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - what lots of carbs do you see?

Thanks!

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 08:02:18

Unfortunately I can't eat eggs and nuts because of my child's allergies and I'm still BFing. I am risking it with a slice of cake once a week, really.

I need to massively review this, I think.

Sheldonswhiteboard Tue 25-Mar-14 08:09:28

I'm not sure how many calories you are having a day, have your portions sizes crept up? How long have you been stalling? I've been on the 5:2 diet and lost 2st over about 8 months and had periods of 3 maybe 4 weeks where I lost nothing and then it suddenly started again without me doing anything differently. I know of some who stalled for 6 weeks and then their weight loss started again.

OrangeMochaFrappucino Tue 25-Mar-14 08:17:04

Fruit is carbs and the canned soup could have a high carb count? I would suggest heading over to the low carb threads on here for some advice - eating fat is really important when low-carbing and you're not having much fat at all which I think could definitely be stalling you.

Bananas are very high in carbs! Not a great breakfast if low-carbing is your chosen diet.

Also, whilst bfing it's normal for your body to hold on to some fat so it may be harder for you to lose the last bit whilst still feeding.

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 08:18:46

I think portion sizes could have definitely crept up. I've been doing it for about two months. I don't think I have enough variety in veg and eat a lot of broccoli - which I guess is carbs?

I eat quite a lot of fat through things like avocado, butter and animal fat but will definitely check out the low carb threads.

All great ideas, thank you everyone. I'll reduce fruit because of sugarsand carbs, cut out the canned soups and have more protein+variety of green veg like courgette, peas, spinach etc?

I think I've become stuck in a very deep rut and thinking I should be losing weight when what I'm doing needs tweaking.

Thattimeofyearagain Tue 25-Mar-14 08:21:46

I did Cambridge diet, fruit are carbs, tinned soup is high in sugar, broccoli is a good choice.

princessalbert Tue 25-Mar-14 08:22:48

Do you count the calories? If you use my fitness pal you can see exactly what is going in.

I wouldn't say your diet is low carb. Fruit is high in (natural) sugars, which are carbs. The canned soup will have sugars in, and possibly starch thickeners.

Can you make your own soup? Using something which would be more filling and protein based such as lentils or chickpeas along with veggies.

Fat and protein fill you up - and your body needs them. Fruit - no matter how healthy - is high in calories, sugars (and carbs).

OrangeMochaFrappucino Tue 25-Mar-14 08:23:17

Also, 're-reading your posts it looks like you are both trying to reduce calories and carbs. It should be one or the other - a low carb diet is not low calorie.

Bananas and high sugar fruit like mangoes and oranges are much more carby than broccoli - the broccoli is definitely not your problem.

If you want to properly low carb, you would need to cut the fruit and cake out, eat a lot more fat and avoid processed food like canned soup.

If you want to cut calories/fat, maybe try something likeSlimming World where you eat plenty of fruit but cut back on other things?

Sleepwhenidie Tue 25-Mar-14 08:26:32

I think you are right to review it. You have no good fat in the food you listed and the only decent protein is the chicken. If you want to low carb properly, I'd suggest seeking out BIWI and boot camp, alternatively take a look at the Eating Better thread in chat which is more about enjoying food whilst making gradual healthy changes that are sustainable but get you to a healthy weight without dieting...

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 08:28:21

This is fantastic, thanks so much! I think I got fixated on "but i'm not eating rice and pasta so why aren't I losing weight??"

Such great info, will look into doing low carb properly and definitely cut out all that fruit!

OrangeMochaFrappucino Tue 25-Mar-14 08:32:46

Good luck - the Bootcamp threads are great (I plan to get on them after my baby is born next month) but do remember your body is still working hard feeding your baby and it might not respond as quickly as you hope so give yourself a break if things are slow smile

ZebraZeebra Tue 25-Mar-14 11:19:07

Thanks so much everyone - just this little chat has made me realise I'm way off base. Inspired, I had a tomato/avocado/mozzarella and green leaves with olive oil for breakfast. Lots of good fats but small portion. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now