Talk

Advanced search

If you need motivation to lose weight...maybe try this...

(14 Posts)
unlucky83 Wed 19-Mar-14 08:11:05

My DD (7) weighs just over 4 stone. She hurt her ankle and I had to carry her - gave her a piggyback - about a 5 min walk, flattish, along a pavement. I'm about 2.5 stone over weight anyway, lost a stone since Christmas - so was 3.5 stone over - not much difference from the weight of my DD.
I could feel the strain on my knees, back (not just my muscles) and I got out of breath really quickly...all normal carrying a heavy weight...

Then I realised I had been carrying that extra around with me every day - it may have crept on gradually so no sudden shock but....I am putting my body under that much strain!

Now am thinking of weighting up a ruck sack to the amount I am overweight and every time I start losing interest and start creeping up again wear that for a quick walk - it really was an eyeopener...
Was aiming to lose 0.5 -1 stone now thinking I really should shift more like 1.5 stone at least ...

ppeatfruit Wed 19-Mar-14 09:41:10

You can do it without the extra weights though! i lost nearly 3 stone and am maintaining (which is the hardest part IMO and E grin) i followed the Paul Mckenna way of eating which works by changing HOW we eat rather than WHAT but i eat for my health anyway. Any how some quick ideas that really do work
1. Don't eat anything heavy after 7ish p.m. some fruit or a camomile tea are fine if you feel peckish,

2. Cut right back on coffee and teas through the day (i stopped my daily one cup of strong coffee and lost a stone in weight !!). Do this on a day when you can take it easy.

3. Cut out alcohol and eating carbs and heavy protein at the same meal.

I guarantee the above will work for you; the exercise helps of course but just normal walking and housework will be fine.

unlucky83 Wed 19-Mar-14 12:48:05

Thanks pp
Don't plan on walking around with a couple of stone on my back on a regular basis!
It was more something to do when I start seeing the scales going up and I think I can't be bothered, I'm not 'that' fat - it will make me appreciate that it is really not ok to be so overweight...it really does harm your joints etc...
A bit like looking at how many bags of sugar your extra weight is the same as...but that didn't shock me particularly - whereas this did...

ppeatfruit Wed 19-Mar-14 16:46:46

I always walk a lot when I'm in London and carry shopping I DO find that the weight drops off almost alarmingly grin (i don't want to be thin just slim!!).

JemimaJones Wed 19-Mar-14 23:39:08

I think most people eat for health. Depends upon your own views of what you consider to be healthy.

JemimaJones Thu 20-Mar-14 11:10:21

Been thinking about this. ppeat Paul McKenna would never suggest anyone eats in the disordered uninstinctive way you have suggested. You may eat mindfully but Paul McKenna it is most certainly not.

JemimaJones Thu 20-Mar-14 11:12:42

Have looked at some of your posts and you do the Blood Group Diet and The Hay Diet. Mmmm ! hmm

JemimaJones Thu 20-Mar-14 11:16:26

Really interesting post OP and your right about the impact of weight on your joints knees etc. Even your pelvic floor muscles bear the brunt of it long term and leads to problems like incontinence and prolapsing. Well done on your weight loss.grin

ppeatfruit Thu 20-Mar-14 12:01:14

jemimajones If you listen to P.M.'s C.D.'s he's very keen that we eat slowly enough to actually TASTE the food. Which people find makes them not want to eat shxx like cheeseburgers etc. He wants us to eat proper fresh food.

I eat they way i do because if i don't i get ill, and i notice that the people who take the piss in RL are NOT healthy. It's very difficult to know the 'right' way to eat; we're all a product of our upbringing and so there's nothing "instinctive' or ordered about most people's diets.

Just look at the adverts eg for coke and there are threads on here where people think it's fine just because of what they see on the telly it's sad actually.

Beechview Sat 22-Mar-14 10:41:25

Ppeat How did giving up 1 cup of coffee a day help you lose a stone? Surely you must have had to make other changes too?
I drink 2 cups of coffee a day. I'd give them up in a shot if I thought I'd lose a stone just by doing that.

Beechview Sat 22-Mar-14 10:42:22

Oh and I only have black coffee no sugar. Maybe you had it with milk and/or sugar?

ishouldcocoa Sat 22-Mar-14 10:45:17

I gave up all caffeine about 18 months ago, and its had no effect on my weight! I have no fizzy drinks, fruit juices or squash either...

I'm obviously missing something!

ishouldcocoa Sat 22-Mar-14 10:48:51

My father had a kidney removed about 18 months ago as it had a cancerous tumour on it. The cancer is now back and has spread to his bones.

I was Googling the kidney/ bone cancer connection the other day, and apart from smoking, the next biggest threat was being obese. As from yesterday, I am down to 2 meals a day - one very low calorie, and one 'ordinary' meal.I'm not morbidly obese, but my BMI is 27.

JemimaJones Sun 23-Mar-14 17:36:16

ppeat I Do do Paul McKenna and have done for years. Paul tells us to eat when hungry, eat whatever you want, chew and taste and stop as soon as your satisfied. The point is that you get back in touch with eating normally and not in diet mode. Things like don't eat after 7 and cutting out carbs and protein together are not what Paul is teaching. I eat very healthily but I also have what I want. He actually says that if you want a cheeseburger or whatever, to have it. That's his point. To stop people obsessing about food and put it back where it belongs - as a source of fuel when your body needs it and pleasure - in that you eat foods you love. Most people do eat their own versions of healthy and that is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now