Talk

Advanced search

Eating little to no breakfast

(13 Posts)
ummingandahhing Sun 16-Mar-14 15:37:21

So as an experiment, the last three weeks I have been eating little to no breakfast and restricting bread intake to once a day which is more akin to how I ate when I was a teenager.

I can't eat as soon as I get up as my body just says no and brings it back up again. But I don't feel as though I want to eat anything until about 1030/1100 where I'd usually have some toast or something but lunch is at 1300 and sometimes I'd have a sandwich and when I got home, I'd have a snack so sometimes MORE bread!

Cutting down on the bread has definitely made me feel less bloated but then so has the little or no breakfast. I'm now having a glass of orange juice or a few satsumas at the most.

So far I have lost 5 pounds.

Now I thought that skipping breakfast was a no no but I can't fight the fact that my body seems to be agreeing that this is a good thing to keep on with.

Anyone else doing something similar?

specialsubject Sun 16-Mar-14 16:40:38

nothing wrong with bread, good carbs.

if you need to get your body awake before eating, that's fine, but if you are going 16 hours without food don't be surprised if no-one wants to be anywhere near you.

total food over a week is the thing to watch, but don't starve.

georgesdino Sun 16-Mar-14 16:43:20

I think its the other way round I am very slim but I always have a big breakfast everyday as if I eat lots earlier on Im not obsessed with food all day. If I dont eat breakfast I cant think of anything except food until lunch and then I want to eat all day. I dont know if the same for you.

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 16-Mar-14 16:58:21

I would kill someone (or at least be a complete bitch) if I didn't eat breakfast - I would also binge eat early evening.

Cutting down on bread is good though

BigBoobiedBertha Sun 16-Mar-14 20:46:50

Eat when you are hungry is a sensible way of eating. Why force yourself to eat if you don't actually want or need it? Therefore I don't think there is anything at all wrong with not eating breakfast as soon as you get up. Your body is clearly not ready for food first thing. It seems counter-intuitive to make yourself eat. Besides it is a myth that eating breakfast is vital for weight loss - some people need it, some don't. We are all different.

What is important is that you eat when you are hungry and don't leave it too long because that is when the binging starts. Listen to your body, don't just eat breakfast because of some random 'rule'.

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Mar-14 20:14:31

I've not eaten breakfast for 30 years

breakfast is essential for the cereal manufacturers

it is not essential for anybody else

RufusTheReindeer Mon 17-Mar-14 20:21:55

I don't usually eat breakfast, if I do it will be more like a brunch on a special occasion

It makes no sense to me that all 7 billion people on the planet HAVE to eat it, we are all made differently and it's what you eat not when (within reason) that makes the difference

unlucky83 Wed 19-Mar-14 07:47:20

I agree I'm not keen on breakfast either...
If I force myself to eat it (say 8am) by 10.30-11am I am really hungry and will have a snack, I will eat lunch and dinner but still want my fatty snacks in the late evening...
If I skip breakfast I may feel a bit peckish but not enough that I need to eat - usually only really hungry by lunch time - say 1pm and rest of the day eat the same.
All eating breakfast does for me is add on extra calories ...breakfast and mid-morning snack...
I'm a night owl too...not a morning person - wonder if that has anything to do with it?

BigBoobiedBertha Wed 19-Mar-14 09:11:35

I'm a night owl too. I suspect, if left to my own devices, when most people are eating breakfast, I would be asleep!

And like you, unlucky83, I eat more if I have breakfast, not less.

CountessOfRule Wed 19-Mar-14 09:21:33

Two things wrong with bread IMHO: (a) yeast and (b) jam/chocolate spread/pate/cheese and ham or whatever else you plaster all over it. Hovis etc are 100 kcal per slice and we tend not to count that.

ummingandahhing Wed 19-Mar-14 11:11:49

Yes, I'm a night owl too.

TravelinColour Wed 19-Mar-14 11:14:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BsshBossh Thu 20-Mar-14 16:27:26

Everyone's different. Some need to eat first thing or else they overeat later; others (like me) rarely need breakfast and I don't overeat as a result (in fact I eat more if I eat first thing - sets off the hunger monster).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now