Talk

Advanced search

Day 2 of first ever diet - Inspiration please!!

(12 Posts)
solitudehappiness Tue 11-Mar-14 21:45:51

On day 2 of my first ever diet and I'm starving! I've been really good. Porridge with banana for breakfast, slimfast shake for lunch and an evening meal. Snacks of wholemeal rice cake or apple or banana.

I've been looking at the recipe for chocolate cake in the cup, and holding back from making it all evening.

I'm 80 kgs and 5ft 7in and dd is 9 months old. I'm quite fit and active, and before wet weather, I walked 22 miles in one week. Easily walk four or more miles a day on a regular basis.

I've never dieted in my whole life, yes I know! And, I need some motivation please smile

Just feel so hungry in the evening.....

Sleepwhenidie Tue 11-Mar-14 23:19:42

Unless you fancy a lifetime of days like the one you've just had, focusing on food, hunger and control, then don't diet!

Ditch the shakes, minimise sugar, processed food and white carbs. Eat lots of veg and make sure you have some healthy fat and protein at every meal. Eat when you are hungry, take your time and enjoy it. Stop when you are full. Keep walking lots if that is what you enjoy and is practical at the moment. Your weight will then take care of itself and you can fantasise about much more exciting and interesting things than chocolate cake in a cup (not that's there's anything wrong with a bit of that once in a while grin.

Millyblods Wed 12-Mar-14 19:30:22

Agree with Sleepwhenidie but would add to stop when your satisfied not full. Small thing I know but significant. Diets are evil and once you start on the road of dieting you could potentially end up years down the line much fatter and on your 20th diet and still no nearer your goal. You may lose some but generally you will regain it and then some more. The very act of trying to stop yourself from eating when you feel hungry is all it takes to tip you over into disordered eating and bingeing.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 12-Mar-14 21:33:51

Hi Milly, how are you smile? You are absolutely right, poor choice of words on my part grin.

Millyblods Thu 13-Mar-14 00:35:59

Sleep smile....Im good thank you. What about you? Hows your training going? I have heard good things about you on Mumsnet. Your doing a good job smile

Sleepwhenidie Thu 13-Mar-14 07:40:54

Ah thanks so much! All going really well, got a few practice clients, they seem happy so far, I finish studying in May so hopefully will get more work then. Am thinking of adding a cbt qualification in Autumn, think it would fit well with what I do and of course it's properly recognised so would be more likely to enable me work with NHS referrals/corporates. smile

solitudehappiness Thu 13-Mar-14 10:58:02

Thank for the advice guys. Nice to see the little chat going on in the thread lol ;)

solitudehappiness Thu 13-Mar-14 11:25:36

I think its about changing your lifestyle and getting used to changing bad habits that have developed. In my case, comfort eating in the evening, and comfort eating whist pregnant.
I'm learning slowly, and it'll take time, and i'll trip up on the way, but if I'm kind to myself and change, slowly but surely I'll lose the weight, but more importantly, change the bad habits and develop new, more healthy ones smile

Sleepwhenidie Thu 13-Mar-14 11:55:36

Sorry solitude, hijacked you blush. You're right though, much better to think about looking after yourself than get sucked into the calories/points/deprivation vortex grin! If you've managed to avoid it so far you are very very lucky, keep it that way. It does take time to develop that awareness of when you are eating for a different reason than hunger but it's so worth it.

solitudehappiness Thu 13-Mar-14 14:44:19

Thanks sleepwhenidie
I realise I've been lucky for so many years. My older sister is laughing as she said it would catch up on me in time smile
I've had a good day today though, no cheats, and eaten really healthily. I did badly last night though, and ate a whole syrup cake (Lyons one). Have to say it was bloody lovely though. haha Think it was because I'd been thinking about sweet cakes etc for the past couple of days and just gorged. Been much better today, and filling up on water. Haven't touched the slim fast shake at all and its amazing what it does for you psychologically! Changes your mindset when your not actually dieting, but eating healthily.
Any further tips gratefully received, and thanks so much grin

Sleepwhenidie Thu 13-Mar-14 14:49:44

smile - a few of us have a thread going on that theme if you want to join - Eating better. Come on over!

solitudehappiness Thu 13-Mar-14 22:20:10

Thanks sleepwhenidie I will do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now