Talk

Advanced search

I'm just a pathetic waste of space

(15 Posts)
MoveYourArmsLikeHenry Sun 09-Mar-14 10:26:13

My friend and I started going to different exercises 3/4 times (including boot camp)a week about 3 weeks ago. At first I hated them, but I've actually come to really enjoy them and the days we aren't at the classes I would go for walks.

I was feeling really good about this, thought I was getting fitter and healthier and was getting used to feeling the burning pain of the exercise classes. That was until I weighed myself yesterday.

18 st it said on the scales. 18 st! I knew I was heavy but didn't think it was that bad sad. It had completely destroyed the confidence I had built up over the past 3 weeks and I feel so down about it. sad

That's at least 8 freaking stone to lose. I am nearly in tears at the thought of this. How can I lose 8 stone it seems impossible!? sad this is the heaviest I've ever been and I'm so ashamed and embarrassed. I have had weight problems my whole life (due to deep rooted emotional issues) and it just seems that I am meant to be fat and unhappy sad

Please help me sad

JeanSeberg Sun 09-Mar-14 11:01:33

We'll done for starting your new exercise and weight loss plan.

8 stone does indeed seem daunting so you need to set short term, achievable goals. Eg lose 2lb a week, get to 17 stone by X date etc. And rewards along the way.

It's great you are doing it with a friend as you can support and motivate each other.

Nocomet Sun 09-Mar-14 11:03:43

Forget the scales, forget what you weigh, carry on enjoying your exercise classes and your friends company. If you loose weight that's a bonus, but don't focus on a bunch of stupid numbers imposed on us by a bunch of male doctors who were no doubt over weight themselves.

You deserve to be happy regardless of what you weigh.

IglooisnowinSheffield Sun 09-Mar-14 11:06:57

You are not a pathetic waste if space, you must lose that attitude along with the weight! Just think today will be the last time you will see 18 stone, keep up what your doing and next number you see will be 17.

Think small, 1lb a week is 52lbs, 4 stone in a year!

I was 15s9 three weeks ago. Today I am 14s12 I feel so happy to see that 14, can't wait for 13.

Keep it up but lose the negative feelings you'll feel so much lighter smile

iklboo Sun 09-Mar-14 11:11:12

Set little loss goals. It's not 8 stone. It's 1-2lb by next Monday, or 1/2 a stone by Easter or something like that. Chip away. Don't weight yourself every day. Once a week or fortnight at most. I've lost nearly 5 stone in 14 months & it's really helped to look at it this way.

You are NOT a waste of space.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Mar-14 11:14:01

no, you're not a waste of space. I have a large amount to lose too and it feels shit.... but you MUSTN'T lose sight of the fact that you're not just defined by your weight and size. You're a human being with thoughts, feeling, personality.
A healthy weight is important I know, and god knows I want to be at that point, but YOU are a lovely person however you look on the outside.

aturtlenamedmack Sun 09-Mar-14 11:14:04

Oh op don't let the numbers on the scales dishearten you. You're doing really well, you've made a start, the last thing you should do is allow this to set you back.
I agree with the poster above, small achievable goals are the best way to look at things - maybe start with 5% of your body weight (13lb ish, less than a stone!).
And be a bit kinder to yourself, hating yourself and you body won't encourage you to look after it. Concentrate less on the numbers and more on the health. Do exercise that you enjoy and makes you feel good, eat food that does the same.
Chin up and keep going!!

MoveYourArmsLikeHenry Sun 09-Mar-14 11:23:36

Thank you everyone. Having all of your support means the world to me. In theory I know that my weight doesn't make me any less of a person, but I can't apply that logic. I guess because I've been like this my whole life (mid 20s) it's hard to feel otherwise.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Sun 09-Mar-14 11:27:59

Me too mate and Im nearly 30 xxx

Aussiemum78 Sun 09-Mar-14 11:39:08

Just don't weigh yourself. It's not helpful or motivating.

Your health is already heading in the right direction with the changes you are making. The hard part is sticking with it, every week. Think of how much you can do in six months!

It will happen faster than you think. With the level of exercise you are doing and with 8st to lose, it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to get 3-4 lb a week to start with.

Aussiemum78 Sun 09-Mar-14 11:40:06

Can you use a tape measure instead?

fascicle Sun 09-Mar-14 17:09:54

Don't let the scales undermine the fact that you've discovered forms of exercise that you enjoy; that you've kept up for three weeks and have given you confidence. Sounds like a fantastic tool to help you become fitter and healthier in the longterm. If you look at it another way, you have improved your health and how you feel about yourself in the last three weeks - it's an achievement. Just keep doing what you're doing.

harryhausen Sun 09-Mar-14 17:42:56

I agree, don't weigh yourself.

I've had issues with weight - huge deep rooted issues. I've been on nearly ever diet going. Recently I've been trying to eat mindfully and trying to drink 1.5 litres of water a day. I've also thrown in some excercise. I'd only been doing this a week and I felt good - less bloated, less hungry and I hope I wasn't kidding myself that my clothes felt ever so slightly looser. I excitedly jumped on the scales to find that nothing had budged. I was still 14 st 9 lbs. My mood totally crashed and I felt awful - really low.

I've decided I'm not doing that to myself again. I'm not weighing myself again until my jeans are literally falling off or someone notices I look different. I'm carrying on, but the scales are going back in the cupboard.

Good luck. You can do it! (So can I!) xx

Sparklefairy83 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:13:11

Well first of hun well done you for actually starting your exercise plan smile Don't be so down on yourself as you are already doing a great job!! Through the scales away and get yourself a tape measure that is your new best friend smile I know you must eel like it's impossible but it's not at all just set yourself little goals and most of all keep positive!! I have 7 stone to lose so i can relate to you. I am on a plan that actually works for me and i'm really focused to get the rest off and i have always been a "big girl" just stay focused and you will get there one step at a time.

Good luck hun we are all here for support smile xx

MelanieCheeks Sun 09-Mar-14 18:15:28

Its great that you've started an exercise plan - that will help you look and feel good!

But weight loss is down to what you eat. You can do this, but focus on what's going to be most effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now