Talk

Advanced search

Can i just eat soup?

(14 Posts)
SouthernComforts Mon 24-Feb-14 15:12:55

I hate veg. I hate fruit. I don't eat fish. This makes dieting pretty hard. I will however eat anything in a soup.

I just made a soup with carrot, Swede, potato, celery, onion, peppers and cabbage with veg stock and a tin of tomatos.

If I made soup every few days and just ate that would I lose weight?

Normal diet is ready meals, home cooked carby meals and sandwiches etc.

SouthernComforts Mon 24-Feb-14 15:15:20

Obviously not forever, but for a few weeks!

frenchfancy Mon 24-Feb-14 15:16:00

I think just eating soup every day would get very boring and therefore you would be likely to fail/fall off the wagon. It is also quite difficult to get enough calories in eating just soup (unless they are creamy ones).

What you could do is 5:2 or 4:3 and just eat soup on the 2 (or 3) days and eat normally on the other days.

SouthernComforts Mon 24-Feb-14 15:35:00

I would make lots of different soups.

My diet is incredibly boring and unhealthy anyway, Im a shift worker so eat crap all hours of the day and night. Microwaving some soup wp

I will put things in soup that I'd never eat with a meal so probably a lot healthier than I am now.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 24-Feb-14 15:36:36

Worth trying it, home made soups sound a lot healthier than ready meals.
If you get bored you could always do soups every other day?

SouthernComforts Mon 24-Feb-14 16:25:34

Dunno where the end of that sentence went.

I'm going to give it a go, if nothing else the veg boost will do me good.

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Feb-14 22:25:33

soups
stews
stir fries
and shakshuka

have variants of those three nights a week and you'll do yourself a power of good

StoneToGo Mon 24-Feb-14 23:39:06

I'm going to go against everyone else here and say 'why not?'. Not for long obviously, and maybe with added protein (bit of fish or chicken breast maybe), or some cheese, but if it motivates you to get going, then do it.

There is something depressing about salad at this time or year, but when it is whizzed up into a warm soup, the world seems a better place smile.

SouthernComforts Tue 25-Feb-14 09:24:00

I actually love cooking when I've got the time so I'm going to experiment with lentils etc. Again something I'd never eat on a plate!

Chicken noodle soup today.

The gannets ate all yesterdays grin

piratecat Tue 25-Feb-14 09:30:43

i do this alot, get fed up and my fave is a homemade concoction of

carrots, onion, broccoli, sweated down, a bit of green pepper.
bung in loads of garlic, fresh ginger, garam masalla and a little cumin.
chuck some red lentils in, water, salt pepper. simmer for about an hour.

blitz. lovely thick dahl type soup. very filling! oh and a little tin of toms. lasts me a few days.

tonyblairsreallygoodlegsnbutt Tue 25-Feb-14 09:36:19

I do this, have been doing alternate day fasting where every other day i can have 500 cals. On those days i eat soup for lunch and dinner. The other days are normal, sensible eating (with treats at weekends). Have lost 10lb in 5 weeks and it's really sustainable!

SouthernComforts Tue 25-Feb-14 09:56:01

Oooh that sounds nice piratecat.

BikeRunSki Tue 25-Feb-14 10:02:59

Stick some pulses on the soup too for protein.

BikeRunSki Tue 25-Feb-14 10:04:37

Yum. piratecat I am so going to make that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now