Talk

Advanced search

Waist/height ratio versus BMI

(10 Posts)
carabos Tue 14-May-13 13:06:00

Just read this www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10054519/Waist-to-height-ratio-more-accurate-than-BMI.html

I'm 5ft4in weigh 55kg and have waist measurement of 30 in - not much leeway there! I found the article to be something of a shocker tbh.

What do you think?

Sleepwhenidie Tue 14-May-13 13:16:08

Well you have 4inches leeway, that's ok isn't it?

Forgetfulmog Tue 14-May-13 13:20:12

I thought BMI was the waist/height ratio???

Forgetfulmog Tue 14-May-13 13:22:35

Oops ignore me, obviously ignorant!

OP I have about 4 inches too - seems fine to me (or are you one of those who likes an extra inch <snigger>)

ilovepowerhoop Tue 14-May-13 13:26:37

BMI is height/weight ratio not waist/height ratio

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 14-May-13 13:36:27

It makes sense. I'm 5ft 2 and 9 stone so easily healthy BMI but a BIG gut and large waist - 34 inches. I know it can't be healthy just by looking at it.
Another good reason to lose it. If only I could. :-(

WillieWaggledagger Tue 14-May-13 14:07:02

op has 2 inches leeway, but i expect it depends on how easily you put weight on your tummy

seems like a reasonable guideline, as all these things are

Sleepwhenidie Tue 14-May-13 14:40:08

Sorry - maths was out...half of 64 is actually 32 isn't it smile. Still ok though. I think that's the key Willie, if you are carrying excess weight around your tummy, that is where it is dangerous to store fat so even if you have a healthy BMI it could indicate a problem.

Waist/hip ratio is also a useful indicator, for the same reason.

5madthings Tue 14-May-13 14:48:12

Intetesting, i saw this, i am 5 2 and my waist is 30 inches. My bmi is 26 and i am working on losibg half a stone to 10lb but i will never have a small bmi as i have large boobs and wide hips. Even at my slimmest i still have big boobs but i have always had a smallish waist tho when i do put on weight the waist is where it goes. Once i have lost the weight and carried on with toninh i will prob be back to 28-29inch waist but my bmi tends to be around 24. I could bust a gut but still never be really slim, but i am slightly cheered by the fact my waist measurement is ok.

BsshBossh Tue 14-May-13 23:20:41

Are you measuring 1 inch above navel for waist size? That's what a lot of the waist-height calculator sites say...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: