Talk

Advanced search

Waist/height ratio versus BMI

(10 Posts)
carabos Tue 14-May-13 13:06:00

Just read this www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10054519/Waist-to-height-ratio-more-accurate-than-BMI.html

I'm 5ft4in weigh 55kg and have waist measurement of 30 in - not much leeway there! I found the article to be something of a shocker tbh.

What do you think?

Sleepwhenidie Tue 14-May-13 13:16:08

Well you have 4inches leeway, that's ok isn't it?

Forgetfulmog Tue 14-May-13 13:20:12

I thought BMI was the waist/height ratio???

Forgetfulmog Tue 14-May-13 13:22:35

Oops ignore me, obviously ignorant!

OP I have about 4 inches too - seems fine to me (or are you one of those who likes an extra inch <snigger>)

ilovepowerhoop Tue 14-May-13 13:26:37

BMI is height/weight ratio not waist/height ratio

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 14-May-13 13:36:27

It makes sense. I'm 5ft 2 and 9 stone so easily healthy BMI but a BIG gut and large waist - 34 inches. I know it can't be healthy just by looking at it.
Another good reason to lose it. If only I could. :-(

WillieWaggledagger Tue 14-May-13 14:07:02

op has 2 inches leeway, but i expect it depends on how easily you put weight on your tummy

seems like a reasonable guideline, as all these things are

Sleepwhenidie Tue 14-May-13 14:40:08

Sorry - maths was out...half of 64 is actually 32 isn't it smile. Still ok though. I think that's the key Willie, if you are carrying excess weight around your tummy, that is where it is dangerous to store fat so even if you have a healthy BMI it could indicate a problem.

Waist/hip ratio is also a useful indicator, for the same reason.

5madthings Tue 14-May-13 14:48:12

Intetesting, i saw this, i am 5 2 and my waist is 30 inches. My bmi is 26 and i am working on losibg half a stone to 10lb but i will never have a small bmi as i have large boobs and wide hips. Even at my slimmest i still have big boobs but i have always had a smallish waist tho when i do put on weight the waist is where it goes. Once i have lost the weight and carried on with toninh i will prob be back to 28-29inch waist but my bmi tends to be around 24. I could bust a gut but still never be really slim, but i am slightly cheered by the fact my waist measurement is ok.

BsshBossh Tue 14-May-13 23:20:41

Are you measuring 1 inch above navel for waist size? That's what a lot of the waist-height calculator sites say...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now