Talk

Advanced search

A little bit really depressed about not being able to loose weight...lack of sugar makes me feel ill

(16 Posts)
Boomba Mon 29-Apr-13 14:00:25

I dont really know what I expect anyone to say. I just wondered if anyone felt the same.

I am 2 stone over weight, never really shifted the baby weight from 2 years ago. I havent been over weight in my life, so not very experienced with dieting. I have done in the past just to feel better. But I was always very active and felt ok about my body size 12/14

I have tried weight watchers and lost a couple of stone, then put a stone back on. Ive been trying SW recently. It is pretty much how I eat anyway. I eat very little processed food, mostly veg and protein...pasta/coucous/potatoes, not much bread. But I like my chocolate. Ive tried to stick to the 15 syns which are allowed, but I feel dreadful. I felt really really ill all last week, cracking headache and really depressed. I scoffed chocolate brownie at the weekend and feel much much better today. But thats ridiculous!!

I know I should still at it and I will eventually feel the benefits blah blah...but I honestly have...and I didnt feel the benefits. I felt shit!!

I would just increase the exercise, but Im a LP and finding the time is really really tuff

Im all out of ideas

ANY advice, really very gratefully received smile

3Rules Mon 29-Apr-13 14:46:09

Hi Boomba,
I decided a while ago that (for me) it was pasta/ potatoes and bread that were the cause of my weight gain... I can't be doing with calorie counting, and have v little time for exercise (excuses... excuses...) I've just started a thread about losing weight with 3 rules only... Do join if you fancy it!
3Rulesx

lyndie Mon 29-Apr-13 14:49:48

Sugar addiction is awful to break, maybe someone else can advise but I would go cold turkey on it and yes the first week is terrible! Are you keeping your protein up and long acting carbs? Dips in your blood sugar don't help, I would try some fruit if you can a craving and see of it passes. There is a book out there about sugar addiction, maybe see if the library can get it for you?

reikizen Mon 29-Apr-13 14:55:07

I found that the 5:2 diet has been a wonder for me, I am/was also addicted to sugar (in all forms but especially chocolate) and I have found that doing this diet has broken the cycle. I have lost over a stone with no real effort, and eat normally on my non diet days. I have strangely found that I no longer crave shit food and it is not the pleasure it once was. Which makes me think it was a psychological addiction as much as anything and I enjoyed the guilty pleasure of eating 'banned' foods as much as the sugar rush. Good luck, I can honestly say this completely changed my lifelong depression regarding my weight and food. smile

Boomba Mon 29-Apr-13 14:59:20

whats the 5:2 diet?

Ledkr Mon 29-Apr-13 15:11:22

Me too op I'm on my first day of no dairy sugar or wheat.
I'm just going cold turkey tbh a d I'm not too well so am planning lots of early nights to get away from temptation.
I had porridge n fruit then stuffed mushrooms for lunch,just had a banana and having salmon and lots of roasted veg for dinner.
I have a few nuts ready for the sugar cravings which interestingly haven't come yet

reikizen Mon 29-Apr-13 19:20:03

otherwise known as the 'fast diet' '500 diet', there are loads of support threads on here about it.

VeryStressedMum Mon 29-Apr-13 20:23:12

You'll feel ill while you withdraw off the sugar/crap I think that's quite normal, for me it only lasts a few days then I feel great. Keep at it and you'll feel much better.

Boomba Mon 29-Apr-13 20:35:17

but i dont...ive been at it since January!! i feel crap!

ledkr I dont like the idea of excluding whole food groups; that said, I dont eat bread often...once or twice a week. Rice is my main CHO, or potatoes. And I dont do milk...have occasional yoghurt/cheese

Its actually not fair, that I am so over weight really!! grin

I might give this 'ere fasting diet a go I think...what do you have for 500 calories a day? Is it easier just to eat nothing?

montage Mon 29-Apr-13 20:40:42

Or have a look at the low-carb bootcamp that starts today

Bakingnovice Mon 29-Apr-13 21:03:13

Sugar is evil. It's my third week without and I still feel headachey and fluey. And I only ever had a few teaspoons in a cuppa tea twice a day. Coming off it is hard and I can't believe how much my body has reacted to it being withdrawn. 5:2 is good but it can be v slow losses. I'm cutting all the crap to lose some weight and will then use 5:2 to maintain.

Ledkr Mon 29-Apr-13 21:53:59

Been ok so far. I had to have an egg about four as I knew dinner was a while away.
I didn't miss the potatoes at dinner and had a nice glass of tonic water.
Badvoc are you eating fruit? I am.
I'm drinking green tea with vanilla for drinks it really helps with sweet cravings.

paintyourbox Mon 29-Apr-13 22:00:10

Hey Boomba I feel your pain, I keep trying to give up sugar but I just can't. I even "cheat" my calorie counting by starving myself for most of the day so I can use my calories for chocolate at night.

I really want to kick the habit, we are weaning DD and its made me realise how crap my own diet is and that I need to lead by example.

Going into hospital this week and will be 'soft food only' for a week or so after so hoping that will be the catalyst to finally kick the habit!

frenchfancy Tue 30-Apr-13 06:08:08

For 5:2 read this thread for all the information:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1581821-Tips-and-links-for-those-practicing-Intermittent-Fasting-IF-5-2-or-Alternate-Day-Fasting-ADF?pg=1

Then join us over here:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1738227-The-5-2-Diet-Thread-number-18-Breaking-out-the-summer-wardrobe

It is not a crash diet, it changes the way you eat and the way your body works for the long term.

I've lost 2 stone on it, the baby weight is now gone, just in time for DD1s 14th birthday grin

Boomba Tue 30-Apr-13 06:29:28

Haha french! I want something faster acting than that!

But thanks for the info. Will read it later on. I AM starting a 'fast' day today! A bit blind, but there is no time Luke the present!

Sonnet Tue 30-Apr-13 06:39:39

You have sugar addiction. Whilst you have cut gown since January you are still feeding it so prolonging the symptoms. I had a similar caffeine addiction. There is a book about it check out amazon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now