Talk

Advanced search

Have I ruined the day? ... The week?! Low carbing question.

(8 Posts)
BruisedFanjo Mon 15-Apr-13 18:16:43

Been low-carbing for almost a week. Had an awful sugar crash, nasty headaches n tired/shakey. Other than feeling a bit weak, I thought I was through the other side, except oh my gosh the CRAVINGS. Almost ashamed to admit bordering on obsessing.

So, we go to Asda and dp has beer and ice cream, kids are clamouring for junky cereal (once-in-a-while lazy morning treat) n I'm sooo close to giving up until I see these Atkins bar things. Says "low carb!" And "only xgrams carbs!" So I buy one. Only after eating it I realise it says NET carbs (whatever they are) on the front and the total carbs is actually 12!

Have I ruined the day, or worse, the whole week with this? All other meals been great, been snacking on stuff like chicken wrapped in lettuce or eggs. Was slowly not needing to snack as much re: hunger, was just the awful craving for something sweet driving me nuts!

Sorry, long! Can anyone help?

teaandthorazine Mon 15-Apr-13 18:30:47

No, you haven't ruined anything, don't panic. Atkins bars, whilst not ideal, are better than falling face first into a tub of Ben & Jerrys!

Put it behind you, move on, tomorrow is another day etc etc. You are in prime carb flu territory if youve been LCing for less than a week, so dont feel bad. Cravings hit all of us now and again. Before the next shopping trip, eat something fatty and satiating so you won't be tempted. And make yourself a fab and delicious LC meal tonight to remind you how much nicer it is to eat this food than processed crud.

BruisedFanjo Mon 15-Apr-13 19:23:40

Thank you! DP was wanting Indian takeaway tonight so I was thinking of skipping the bread and rice and having dry spiced meat and veg like tandoori chicken and salad or lamb tikka and grilled peppers etc?

Ahh fuck, Ben and Jerry's! :p

I'm pretty good with meals, I love high quality food, always buy the best I can afford with meat n veg from local farms etc, worth spending money on excellent cheese if I can find it etc, but sweet stuff is so hard. I know there's controversy on whether sugar is actually addictive, but I think it is. Its so much harder to give up chocolate than it was for me to give up smoking. At 5am before work I can walk out the petrol station without 10 Marlboro lights, but not without a twirl!

Xx

BlackAffronted Mon 15-Apr-13 19:30:40

Chromium supplements will help with yoru sugra cravings smile

BlackAffronted Mon 15-Apr-13 19:45:17

Its the net carbs you need to worry about anyway, though UK labelling is net (its just the US who have total carbs). Avoid the bars though, they are full of crap!

teaandthorazine Mon 15-Apr-13 20:44:24

mmmmm, Indian! I hope you got some saag paneer!

BruisedFanjo Mon 15-Apr-13 22:35:56

I did :D saag paneer, lamb tikka, an aubergine dry curry and salad. Was so yummy and I didn't miss naan bread/rice at all!

I'm def joining the next boot camp when it starts :D

dellabob Tue 16-Apr-13 13:19:11

Agree - steer well clear of anything thats pre packages as LC. the best thing you could do is buy a bar of Green and Blacks 80% chocolate and have 1 or 2 squares to get you through. It also make you feel less 'deprived' and it is yummy and very low on carbs. Plus lots of goodies in dark choccy too, so all is not lost. That got me through the dark times....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now