Talk

Advanced search

Do you think there is a connection to your weight and your childhood?

(5 Posts)
NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 14-Apr-13 22:26:01

m.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2013/jan/23/fact-checking-obesity-poverty-link

Hope I did link properly. This outraged me back in Jan, I did have a poor background but had kind parents who provided the best they could. I am however overweight, as are a large percentage of my family. I have a more MC lifestyle now in a naice area and have friends from all walks of life. My friends who came from more middle class families DO generally seem to weigh less.
What do you think?

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 14-Apr-13 22:57:30

Bump

Bakingnovice Mon 15-Apr-13 09:33:15

I totally agree. I need to lose two stone. Food was very scarce growing up and I suffered a lot of neglect. This means I have a very strange relationship with food. I don't binge or snack but I think my portions are too big and that comes from not having enough as a child. Like you we are very well off now.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Mon 15-Apr-13 20:39:28

Same here in that I don't binge but def think as food as a necessity rather than a fuel. I was hoping for more than just two of us to see if there was an actual patten though grin
Our scientific experiment proved it to be true!

Bearface Wed 17-Apr-13 20:25:57

I think there's a connection for me, so thought I'd add to the 'experiment'. grin

I'm from a poorer background and although my parents provided as best they could, they were from a post-war generation that had very little in the way of fruit and veg unless you grew it yourself. I grew up on carbs and sugar-rich foods as a result as we didn't have a garden or an allotment. I still struggle today with how I eat and have a tendency towards these kinds of foods. I did feel deprived as a child and I think I try to compensate for it now by sometimes overeating and reverting back to my childhood. I don't fully understand my psychology, but I'm trying to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: