Talk

Advanced search

Positivity going forward

(7 Posts)
Bakingnovice Sun 14-Apr-13 14:33:41

I really really really need to lose two stone. Physically I don't look bad. I'm a 14-16 and look ok. However, mentally I'm a mess courtesy of a bad childhood. We never had much growing up and food was scarce and I'm starting to wonder if that's where my food issues started. Also, because my childhood was hideous what food there was became a comfort. I now find myself either eating well or nothing at all. I'm a woman of extremes. I cook everything from scratch and we hardly ever eat junk or eat out as I don't trust restaurant food. All summer I walk and exercise then every autumn I fall into despair.

Only this time the despair is deeper and darker. I can't talk to anyone in RL as I can't bear to burden those I love, apart from Dh who is amazing. So, tomorrow is a big day for me. It's a step back towards controlling my life and to end the self loathing. Walking has always been my saviour. I've walked my way out of Pnd and depression many times. It would mean a lot if someone could support me on my journey back to good physical and mental health.

In the past I've jumped right in with 3 hours walking a day, this time I want to go slow and steady. I'm hoping once my mental health improves the pounds will drop off too. If you have any positivity to share with someone who has reached the bottom then I would be delighted!

Belugagrad Sun 14-Apr-13 14:42:36

Sounds like you have a good plan and a good attitude! Never underestimate the power of fresh air, exercise an sunshine. Do you thing alongside food/ childhood issues tou have SAD? Just a thought?

Bakingnovice Sun 14-Apr-13 15:42:47

Probably. I'm much worse over winter and this winter is dragging. I'm going to try and eat well. I don't snack or eat crisps etc. my biggest downfall is myself. I can be v harsh on myself and am aiming to be positive. If I can lift my mood again with exercise the rest will be manageable for me.

Bakingnovice Mon 15-Apr-13 14:17:46

So day 1 of being positive is going v well. It helps massively that the sun is shining. It's the first time in ages that I've woken up happy and excited about the future. I'm going to try and report back every day to keep myself going. If anyone has any supportive words or ideas that would be wonderful.

Babieseverywhere Mon 15-Apr-13 22:31:53

You have such a good attitude, I'm sure you'll do well. smile

As walking is your thing, have you got a pedometer ?

I have a modern one called a Fitbit One. It is brilliant. It tracks how far I have walked and how many steps I have taken. You can join the online Fitbit community (there is even an Mumsnet board !) and compare your steps with your friends on the boards.

As gadgets go, it is fun and encourage us to walk 10,000 steps a day or whatever target you set yourself.

Bakingnovice Tue 16-Apr-13 08:37:41

I don't have a pedometer. Where can I buy the fit bit one from?

Thank you for your message.

Babieseverywhere Tue 16-Apr-13 09:43:17

Loads of places..Amazon, Ebay etc.

There is an offer on the Fitbit Zip atm www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fitbit-zip-wireless-activity-tracker-39-99-currys-1493321

I got my Fitbit One off Groupon but that offer has finished.

There is also the older Fitbit Ultra which is still available new and boxed off Ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now