Talk

Advanced search

Any low carb experts out there?

(14 Posts)
MajesticWhine Thu 04-Apr-13 09:41:18

Anyone done this and want to share a few tips? I've pigged out on holiday and want to lose it quickly. I'm starving already on day two! I really can't see myself keeping this up. Also had a terrible nights sleep - could this be down to low carbs?

teaandthorazine Thu 04-Apr-13 09:58:17

Right, get yourself over to the low-carb Bootcamp thread for LOADS of advice, support and info. New bugs always welcome grin

Lowcarb can be tricky to get your head around at first. it's very very different to the way we're taught to eat 'healthily'. And yes, ditching the carbs isn't easy. But stick with it and you'll see results way beyond a bit of weight loss, I promise. LC has completely changed the way I think about food, I love it! Well, except on days when I can't get cream in my coffee!

WillieWEggledEgger Thu 04-Apr-13 12:36:27

I echo tea - come and join the threads for support

What are you eating? You shouldn't actually be hungry (beyond the craving for carbs which happens to us all initially and does get better I promise!). Give us an idea of your meals because it could well be that you're not eating enough, and that will make the carb cravings worse

Low carbing usually improves sleeping, but I wouldn't be surprised if the shock of changing your eating habits has had a bit of an effect initially. Also, if you are hungry and not eating enough that might have a negative effect on sleeping.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 04-Apr-13 12:37:30

You need BIWI - go find her thread!

BIWI Thu 04-Apr-13 12:41:01

Hello Majestic!

You definitely need to get over to the Bootcamp threads, and we can all help you there.

The next Bootcamp - which will last for 10 weeks - will be starting on 29 April.

In the meantime, what are you currently eating? Your diet should be in the following proportions: fat/protein/carbs. Eating plenty of fat and protein will keep you fuller for longer as well as stabilising your blood sugars, which will prevent you from being hungry. If you're hungry then you're not eating enough and you're probably not eating enough fat.

What have your menus been so far?

Also, you need to be prepared for a rough 3-4 days as you withdraw from the carbs, and as your body converts itself from burning carbs to burning fat. Stick with it, as it is really worth it and you will feel so much better once you get through it.

The sleep disruption could be part of this process.

MajesticWhine Fri 05-Apr-13 15:14:02

Ok, that's great thanks. I will look forward to the next bootcamp.
Reassuring to know that it might get better after 3-4 days of low carb.
I have been having things like scrambled egg or omelette for breakfast, feta cheese and tomato salad for lunch, some turkey breast with vegetables for dinner. I was doing ok for a couple of days. Then I gave in and had toast because I was getting hungry and bad-tempered.

WillieWaggledagger Fri 05-Apr-13 15:55:45

It definitely sounds like you're not eating enough, particularly enough fat. Are you adding butter to your scrambled eggs, oily dressing to your salad, and butter to your veg at supper time? The fat is good for you and sends signals to your brain that you are satiated.

Turkey breast is quite lean too - try going for fattier cuts. I would also avoid having too much tomato as they can be a bit carby

Do have a read of some info biwi has written here, here and here. The more you read up about low carbing the easier it is to understand why you need to avoid certain things and fill up on others.

There are also some fab recipes on the thread here whih should hopefully get you looking forward to meals so that you're less tempted by the toast!

teaandthorazine Fri 05-Apr-13 19:12:55

Oh majestic, you deffo need to eat more. A bit of feta and tomato at lunch is not going to be enough. Once you're in the swing of LC then you will find your appetite curbs considerably, but atm you'll need to replace the carbs with more fat and more protein.

I find I can easily go several hours without eating now but I certainly couldn't when I first started LC. Don't fear fat btw, it will fill you up beautifully... mayo, oil, cheese, butter, etc

BIWI Fri 05-Apr-13 19:26:05

And one of the key rules of thumb on low carbing is 'if you are hungry, then eat!' (as long as it's low carb food, obviously!)

MajesticWhine Sat 06-Apr-13 21:41:57

Thanks folks. I will start again tomorrow.

Emilythornesbff Sun 07-Apr-13 06:13:59

Hi. Can I join?
I'm breastfeeding. Not sure if that precludes me from low carbing.
I loved Atkins when I did that a few years ago but worried about the expense and working with family meals (now have a 2 yo as well as new baby).
off to lurk in the boot camp.

BIWI Sun 07-Apr-13 11:41:54

I don't think breastfeeding would preclude you from low carbing - but just make sure that you are getting your carbs from veg/salad.

Re expense, low carbing needn't be expensive. The fattier cuts of meat are usually the cheaper ones, such as chicken thighs (Sainsbury's are selling packs of 8 for £3), belly pork, breast of lamb.

Emilythornesbff Sun 07-Apr-13 20:37:23

Thanks for that BIWI
Really keen to get back into my jeans. I used pregnancy as an excuse to eat all the carbs in the world.

BIWI Sun 07-Apr-13 21:33:03

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now