Talk

Advanced search

Advised too fat by consultant - 30wks pg

(9 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Tue 02-Apr-13 19:47:08

Hi

I'm posting here rather than pregnancy or general health as its very definitely weight related. I am 30weeks pregnant and although pre pregnancy I was active and a healthy weight for my height (5'8, size 12) I have had some real food issues since falling pg. I ate reasonably low carb pre baby but once I fell pg I was ill and queasy and the only thing which helped was carbs. I have a toddler and work FT so I had to keep going somehow.

Now I have the baby bump and the spare tyre bump, ive not weighed myself but I'm the size at 30week that I was last time at 42weeks. Baby is measuring a little bit ahead but not much and nobody is worried about babies health (no GD).

Saw my consultant today (not high risk as such just extra monitoring) and he said that I'm too fat. And I need to be careful about what I eat between now and the ELCS delivery in just 9 weeks.

I'm not hammering the sweets and chocolate as they give me heartburn, I do probably eat too much carby foods however cutting down makes me feel really awful really fast.

Can anyone give me any good healthy eating advice whoch although won't nake me lose the fatty bump I might be able to reign it in?

AnythingNotEverything Tue 02-Apr-13 19:54:48

Hello!

You sound just like me ... I was a 14 and 5ft10, and by my booking appointment I'd put on so much weight because I was so hungry all the time. Dread going back for my next weight check ...

Anyway, good to hear the baby is fine. If you want to stall your weight gain I'd suggest brown carbs wherever possible (brown pasta, rice, bread) - it keeps you full longer and helps your insides too. I'd also up your water intake (you can "eat" your water through fruit too) and try reduce the carbs late in the day.

Are they concerned because of the surgery? Not because of any harm to the baby?

I'm not going to advise you to try be more active - I'd slap someone who suggested that and I'm only 12 weeks!

BreasticlesNTesticles Tue 02-Apr-13 20:01:35

How much have you put on? I out on 3 stone with both mine, and was 5ft9 and an 18 to start with and it wasn't mentioned to me.

However, slimming world is excellent for watching weight gain in pregnancy as you can eat lots of fruit, veg, carbs and lean meat so you are really only watching the rubbish.

badguider Tue 02-Apr-13 20:02:22

oats maybe? I'm 17wks and have been nauseous throughout but oats (porridge, granola or low fat flapjack) are a godsend.

redwellybluewelly Tue 02-Apr-13 20:12:24

Hi anything thanks for replying

I was very active, yoga and swimming throughout my first pg but this one I am simply too exhausted and baby is also very low which is causing issues with my pelvis and my hips. Nothing to do with weight gain, just age and baby choosing to engage early.

I also probably do not drink enough, the constantly getting up to the loo is annoying enough as it is! Maybe I need some guidelines for myself, I do always have granola for breakfast but

- Drink x litres a day
- Pack fruit based snacks
- Eat healthy protein for lunch and dinner
- Reduce amount of potatoes?

DH has taken over cooking since I've been pg and he does favour more just junky options like chips (oven bake low fat!)

redwellybluewelly Tue 02-Apr-13 20:16:18

Sorry slow typing! I don't actually know how much I've put on as they dont weigh you anymore at MW appointments. Maybe I should look at SW to just get an idea of where I'm going wrong.

I hazard a guess about 2-3 stone but I've the last trimester to get through as well. Consultant said it would hamper recovery and also be harder to lose excess weight afterwards compared to the VB I had first time round.

BreasticlesNTesticles Tue 02-Apr-13 20:37:19

How does the consultant know you are too fat if he hasn't weighed you?!

But yes SW is very good. Basically youcan eat lots of things with no/little fat in them and fill up on free veg.

So spag bol with turkey mince and pasta, with fruit salad and muller light yoghurt for example.

<really should go back to SW>

redwellybluewelly Tue 02-Apr-13 20:41:22

Its pretty obvious that I'm carrying too much weight around my middle. I have a B bump where my over bump jeans dig in!

How does SW differ from WW? Remember doing that very successfully years and years ago before my wedding.

BreasticlesNTesticles Tue 02-Apr-13 20:59:31

SW has more free food, whereas WW is effectively calorie counting.

So SW extra easy means you can eat as much fruit and veg not cooked in fat as you like with some lean meat and some pasta/rice/potatoes.

So chilli, spag bol, bacon and tomato pasta, beans and jacket potatoes and that type of thing.

Its not quite as simple as that but not far off. You can do a trial week menu on the SW website to see how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now