Talk

Advanced search

Slimming club and running or join a gym to lose two stone?

(41 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 31-Mar-13 11:35:59

Or should that be two stones?!

Had dd2 nine months ago and still have one and a half to two stone to go. Struggle with tiredness as she is a really truly awful sleeper and up every two hours plus have holder child with sn so life is quite stressful.

I can only afford to join a slimming club or join the gym. Gym is quite reasonable as we would get community rate. It's quite a nice one although I need to check the parking situation. Dh would also join.

Or a slimming club, I have never joined one before but have never struggled this much with weight loss either. Friends have had success with slimming world and weight watchers but I also notice that there is a rosemary Conley class down the road so I could exercise too.

Please help me decide I need to do something!

HeySoulSister Sun 31-Mar-13 14:09:39

Rosemary Conley was actually quite good as you get weighed

I've just lost 3 stone through

Shred
Low carbing
Running couch25k

I now have 3 more to lose and have added a 3x a week bootcamp. But cos there is only me and one other, it's almost like having a personal trainer. She's great.

used2bthin Sun 31-Mar-13 20:48:40

Wow that's brilliant on the weight loss. Thanks was rosemary Conley very hard to follow? I am used to eating so much now although did do 5.2 for a bit. I am still breast feeding but only about two feeds a day.

I would like to give couch to 5k a try. And have a shred DVD but have done it once how awful I really must get onto this I weigh more now than I did just after having my first child and I am nine months on! Work to do!

used2bthin Sun 31-Mar-13 20:51:35

Ps I did buggy boot camp briefly when dd was 7weeks, it was intense! Hated it, I am in awe that you do it 3times a week!

specialsubject Mon 01-Apr-13 11:24:16

exercise never continues unless it is something that you enjoy. If you would enjoy the gym and the exercise classes do that.

look up the NHS Eatwell plate for healthy eating advice. There you go, no need for a slimming club.

Beechview Mon 01-Apr-13 11:33:52

Join http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
Log all your calories, keeping 'treats' to less than 200 cals a day.
Run and do Shred.

Spend the money on getting facials/haircuts etc and new clothes when you need smaller sizes instead smile

Beechview Mon 01-Apr-13 11:34:10

www.myfitnesspal.com/

used2bthin Mon 01-Apr-13 23:13:19

Thank you I will look into both of those, when the chocolate guilt is in full swing tomorrow! I am feeling miserable about the weight today but am really feeling uncomfortable and hormonal too, ugh must get started.

I do Pilates once a week and enjoy it so would enjoy classes at a gym I think although I may not get to them more than once or twice a week.

I keep going round in circles with it, I need something serious to kick me into gear and can see why slimming clubs get people going but don't want a restricted diet that I fall on and off. It's mindset too as I eat to cheer up at times and need to remember it won't feel better and I will add food guilt to it!

onedev Mon 01-Apr-13 23:22:35

I'd say join Slimming World & running as exercise alone is unlikely to sort it unless you sort your diet. Good luck smile

soontobeslendergirl Mon 01-Apr-13 23:29:34

I've been using myfitnesspal to log calories and been doing (sort off smile) the c25k since mid January and I've lost a stone and a half - cost me feck all and not found it too difficult tbh - still got a stone and a half to go though.

Join the gym and use my fitness pal. For me, MFP has been exactly the same as going to a slimming club - that way you get the best of both worlds.

used2bthin Tue 02-Apr-13 18:58:34

Thanks all, still can't decide. Anyone done rosemary Conley? What did you think of it?

used2bthin Tue 02-Apr-13 18:59:20

Ps went for a run today, a walk run walk run kind of run anyway. Sun was shining, it was good!

used2bthin Wed 03-Apr-13 17:57:59

So I can go to slimming world tonight or rosemary c tomorrow night or neither! Please anyone around to help me decide? Slimming world seems to work??

Beechview Wed 03-Apr-13 18:33:21

They all work if it suits you.

Slimming world is easy as you don't have to weigh or count anything but you have to exclude fat from your diet and its hard to stick to if you have a busy social life.

Rosemary C is more flexible as you're counting calories so you can eat mostly what you want within your allowance from what I recall. The weigh in session includes an exercise class too so is good value for money.

I found slimming world easier as fruit is free so you can always rely on that if you feel peckish.

used2bthin Wed 03-Apr-13 18:37:33

Thank you. I am going to go to slimming world in about ten mins. This weight isn't coming off even with me cutting sugar and butter so I need something more structured an I think at least it gets me out the house. Just agreed with dh to do alternate days of getting out for a walk or jog too.

I just need to do it so am go I g tonight so I can't change my mind again!

onedev Wed 03-Apr-13 19:00:02

Good luck - you can do it. I totally think that the structure & likely change to your diet will have a great effect & exercising will tone you up lovely! smile

Beechview Wed 03-Apr-13 19:52:06

Good luck! I should follow you and you rejoin......

used2bthin Wed 03-Apr-13 21:44:47

Ah thank you both. I joined although am feeling like its not as easy as I thought but that's just I haven't read through it yet yet. Also wasn't keen on all the clapping etc! But will start with going to meetings and see how I get on.

onedev Wed 03-Apr-13 22:32:11

You've done the hard part of walking in the door & getting weighed - so well done! Read the books & don't be frightened to eat! You really can eat a lot, just make sure you eat enough super free. It is honestly quite easy to follow just read it all thoroughly & I'd recommend keeping a food diary.

Good luck smile

used2bthin Wed 03-Apr-13 22:52:28

Thanks will do a food diary. I have one stone four pounds to loose as it turns out I had already lost some. Really hope I can be good at it.

soontobeslendergirl Wed 03-Apr-13 23:11:32

Ah 1 stone 4 lbs should be a doddle grin

I had 3 stone to lose at the beginning of January and am now half way there - So I still have a bit more than you to lose!

It's coming off steady, 1-2 lbs a week - if i've succumbed to temptation, I just get out and go for a half run/half walk and burn off the extra calories.

soontobeslendergirl Wed 03-Apr-13 23:13:26

You are already in the right frame of mind and just think, you could have most of that gone by the summer - all the best smile

used2bthin Thu 04-Apr-13 07:49:34

Oh wow thank you would love to be slim by summer. Has it taken lots of willpower? I have a dh with a very sweet tooth but it looks like there are good ideas to get around cravings.

Hoping to get the whole family eating more healthily although have just had a cup of tea forgetting g to measure milk so not a good start!

Beechview Thu 04-Apr-13 09:37:11

Oh well done. Its not that hard to follow. Its roughly - don't use fats (or count it) and have lean meat and have lots of veg with meals.
Then you just need to get your healthy extras and treats (hate the word syns!)

You've inspired me to follow the eating plan myself again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now