Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone successfully combine exercise with intermittent fasting? I'm struggling!

(9 Posts)
PMTIsMe Sun 03-Feb-13 19:04:49

I used to be really into running before DCs, and recently signed up for a summer 10k to motivate me to get back into it. However, I also really need to lose a stone or 2 and so have been doing IF for the last month. I really don't fancy running on a fasting day...but I seem to have no energy the day after and my runs have been rubbish lately. I'm not sure whether the issue is psychological or physiological tbh...so does anyone else manage to fast and exercise without feeling feeble?! TIA for any thoughts.

Snowkey Sun 03-Feb-13 19:25:26

I run and fast - if I'm low on energy it will be on the day after a fast but I still do it. I mostly low carb so run on fat rather than carbs...so my body is used to burning body fat for energy. I also had heard that there was some evidence to suggest that training while fasting gave you a better work out. Either way I'd take it easy to begin with, your body will hopefully adapt. Whatever works for you is the right way to go.

PMTIsMe Sun 03-Feb-13 19:35:05

Thanks snowkey...reassuring to hear that you can feel a bit low energy after a fast too. I might try running on a fasting day..perhaps I can burn the day before's calories!

SmileItsSunny Fri 05-Apr-13 22:25:37

I've never tried running on a fasting day, but I'm interested to hear how you get on!

Bartlebee Fri 05-Apr-13 22:33:00

I find IF and exercise 5 times per week is my Holy Grail. I still have lots of energy for running or a Spinning class. On a fast day, I'll usually exercise first thing and do it later in the day on a non fast day.

I lost 10lbs very easily doing this over the last few weeks.

I like low carbng but really struggle with energy levels.

frenchfancy Sat 06-Apr-13 07:09:06

I run on fast days and find it easier than on feed days.

aroomofherown Sat 06-Apr-13 21:56:30

I just asked this question on the 5:2 thread.

I want to fast tomorrow but I also want to go to the gym. Am nervous that I'm going to get too hungry.

Bartlebee why do you exercise first thing on a fast day - don't you find the hunger kicks in more quickly? I was going to exercise late in my fast day for that reason? How does it work for you?

BsshBossh Sat 06-Apr-13 22:42:31

I exercise on fast days and never get hungry afterwards. For me exercise suppresses my appetite (which is why I also exercise on fast days).

ElizaCBennett Sat 06-Apr-13 23:10:10

I often exercise on Fast days and find it quite easy. I think it depends on what you eat on feed days really. Rubbish food equals feeling bad on fast days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now