Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I really, really need some advice. My eating habits are dreadful.

(4 Posts)
mothersdaughter Wed 23-Jan-13 09:19:24

I could really do with some advice. I have been in a cycle of losing a few pounds and then putting them back (plus some) on for so long.

I am 5'4 and weigh 10.6. I'd like to be 9.12. Not masses to lose, but I just cannot seem to do it. I have a few 'good' days, where I cut out white carbs, no sugar etc. but then I totally cave in and eat masses of chocolate. I often crave sweet stuff for breakfast and sometimes eat a handful of biscuits when I get up.

My only excuse is that I find it hard to plan for eating. I have small DC's who have different allergies and a DH who likes to have rice/pasta etc at dinner time. I do most of the cooking as a) I do enjoy it and b) I am on mat leave at the moment.

I really want to shift these last pounds and adopt a healthy way of eating. I need to move away from these crash burn diets that I just cannot sustain.

I would love to hear any advice or thoughts. I feel that my relationship with food is so unhealthy now that I really don't know what to do.

tia

NotHerRealname Wed 23-Jan-13 10:16:33

I am the same. It almost harder motivation wise to keep going when you only have a little bit to lose. Its like I look in the mirror on a good day and think "well its not so bad, I look reasonably ok" The weight is bothering me really but I just struggle to stop eating all the chocolate and crap food in the evening while I am on the sofa. My husband is slim and sofa grazes too so it is a pattern we have got into.
Why not start with making sure you eat your 5 a day? That way there will be less room for other stuff. Make sure you have breakfast too. Its a tried and tested tip but it really does stop you reaching for the sweet stuff in the morning. Also how about the old 80/20 rule (not sure if that's one I made up!) Good food and no treats during week and more relaxed at weekends.

With a few weeks of sticking to this you will lose the weight in no time, ready for the summer!

Battlefront Wed 23-Jan-13 10:32:04

I find the best way is to avoid sitting on the sofa so much in the evenings! I'm currently on a mad de-cluttering phase and if I spend a evening clearing out a cupboard instead of watching stuff I'm not that bothered about on TV, I feel better about myself and I don't eat all those chocolate and crisps either.

My diet's pretty good these days actually, after I just decided one day to have a zero tolerance policy on sugar and white carbs. As you know, it's really not easy, but I'd suggest starting just after AF arrives grin which should give you 2 weeks before the worst cravings are back. The first 10 days will be really hard, but if you stick to it, you'll find after time, you actually don't want that stuff anymore.

As far as DH is concerned, I understand why you do the cooking, I do the same, but if you're cooking, you get to plan the meals and he can eat what you cook. No reason he can't have (wholemeal) pasta or rice (I consider Basmati to be as good a brown because it has low GI) though, although you will need to make sure your own portions aren't too big.

You need to get in some alternative treats/snacks as well, maybe houmous or "luxury" fruit. To begin with, when I couldn't have toast, crisps, biscuits etc I really struggled to find anything I "could" eat, because I hadn't changed my shopping habits other than by reducing the sugary things I bought.

Porridge makes a good snack when you're desperate. I make it with raisins instead of sugar. And tinned fruit is good when there's nothing else smile

mothersdaughter Wed 23-Jan-13 10:49:13

Thanks for all your advice.

Not I am the same, I sometimes think, "Oh well, I've only gain 7lbs since having the DC's", but it's all on my tummy and round my face - very evident areas. I have heard of the 80/20 rule and think it would be good although I can't seem to trust myself to not carry it over!

Battle I think you are right, in that I need to be more organised with snacks etc. Can I ask what you have substituted your snacks with? I really need to do the cold turkey thing with sugar, although my AF is all over the place since I had a coil put in. I wonder if this is anything to do with it? Also I am taking AD's for PND which I think isan't helping either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now