Talk

Advanced search

Meals are fine, anyone want to join me in ditching the snacks and Diet Coke?

(5 Posts)
ZolaBuddleia Mon 14-Jan-13 10:02:35

I love healthy food, and, with slightly adjusted portion sizes I'd be happy that my meals are fine.

What is most definitely not fine is all the rubbish I eat on top, lots of chocolate etc. I snack constantly.

Would anyone like to join me in stopping chocolate, sweets, buns, biscuits and Diet Coke? I need to lose 5 stones. shock

cq Mon 14-Jan-13 10:09:40

Oh god yes, I know what you mean. For me it's also the grazing - I'm a SAHM but cannot seem to pass through the kitchen at the moment without eating something. I exercise regularly, and cook healthy meals from scratch, mostly, but my waistline is still blush . I could do with shifting about 4 stone, or 2 - 3 dress sizes.

I have adopted the tactic of not having sweets/chocolate/biscuits/fizzy drinks in the house (nearly finished the Christmas food mountain grin), but I still managed to overeat on slices of toast, cheese and whatever I can forage.

Some joint willpower may be the answer Zola smile I really can say from experience that diets don't work, long term, and I am slightly scared by the 5-2 fasting plan, can't see that it's healthy or safe.

What shall we do?

ZolaBuddleia Mon 14-Jan-13 10:21:41

How about we make a list of things that we're not going to eat? For me it would be:

chocolate
sweets
Diet Coke/other diet drinks
cakes

Perhaps for you we could add toast if it's more than two slices in a meal? I don't tend to snack on savoury foods so it's a bit easier for me to list things.

Would love to have you as my soon to be slender buddy! smile

ZolaBuddleia Mon 14-Jan-13 10:30:55

DP was just telling me about a bloke on telly this morning who was talking about why big changes never work. Apparently it's because we focus on the end result rather than breaking it down into manageable chunks.

So, we could try something manageable like no snacks from our banned list after dinner, and do that for, say, a week until it feels habitual. And then bring it forward so there are no snacks after lunch and do that for a while etc etc.

What do you think about that?

cq Mon 14-Jan-13 17:09:39

So true about big changes. They have to be small and sustainable. Apparently it takes 15 days for something to become a habit.

So on my list would be:

Hunks of cheese
Slices of toast or bread and butter
Any chocolate/biscuits/cake I find lurking in the house

The kids still have loads of Christmas chocolate in their rooms but so far I have not stooped so low as to steal it.

I think we need to substitute healthy snacks rather than just try and cut them out?

So tomorrow I'm going to buy lots of peppers & cucumber and cut them up and leave them ready in a plastic box in the fridge. Maybe some hummus to dip them in.

And a few nuts for a change.

My weak time is not so much the evenings but the afternoons when I'm home alone. Are you at work all day?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: