Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could somebody explain whether pasta is a bad choice when cutting calories please?

(5 Posts)
Owlfright Wed 09-Jan-13 18:22:54

I'm trying to get to grips with cutting calories. I want to lose about 2 stone.

I've done a bit of research (and read a lot of threads on here). I'm hoping to take a fairly simple calorie cutting approach, probably using myfitnesspal, plus a bit of the Paul M idea of being more mindful about eating.

Sugar is my downfall, I'm addicted. Very. Addicted.

I don't properly understand where 'low fat' carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes fit into a diet plan. I like brown pasta, brown rice, jacket spuds but I'm getting the impression that these aren't sensible choices when dieting- especially the pasta (which I love).

Can anyone advise please?

monsterchild Wed 09-Jan-13 18:27:58

I think there are a number of approaches to pasta! It is fairly high in calories so most people avoid it when dieting. you can't have much of it and keep your calories low. And because it converts to sugar more quickly than proteins you'll get hungry again sooner.

I also love pasta but its expensive calorie wise!

Minibinx Wed 09-Jan-13 19:27:44

I love pasta too (and white bread and rice for that matter). I think the recommended approach is to limit your intake to 50g of pasta and bulk meals up by adding more vege options such as peppers, courgette, broccoli etc to compensate. I've also got a sweet tooth but I find that if I make sure I have three regular meals it helps, and if I really need a sweet fix try and opt for fruit (which sometimes works).

Stealthfart Wed 09-Jan-13 19:28:48

I have lost over 4 stone on mfp without cutting carbs, I eat pasta at least 2 or 3 times a week. I am a total bread addict too. I suppose it depends on how your body copes with it, some do struggle to lose weight without reining in the carbs but I don't think I cope well without them!

Just maybe make sure you weigh it and you should be ok when you add up your numbers.

Elainey1609 Wed 09-Jan-13 21:19:33

Hi ya
I am a total carbs addict I admit that that is my main reason for weight gain I just love bread.
My approach seems to be working. Ive lowerd the amount of carbs I have but not cutting them all together. Im also sticking to brown, wholemeal or full grain when ever possible.
I bulk my meals out with veg and protoen as this keeps me full for longer.
I did struggle with feeling lethargic for a while due to the decrease in carbs but its much better now.
Mfp is good in the sense that it shows u when ur eating to mnysugars and carbs ect.

Enjoy ur food but dont over induldge. Enjoy th odd sweet thing.

I always make sugar free jelly up and have mirange nests in the cupboard low fat yogurt honey and fruit. I xan always make a good sweet tooth snack with that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now