Talk

Advanced search

Quick 5:2 question, I have read the threads, honest!

(8 Posts)
GingerLemonTea Mon 05-Nov-12 22:18:30

Am thinking of doing this and have been reading bits of the various threads, think I have the jist of it.
5 days eating normally
2 days eating up to 500 calories.
My questions are, having read about leaving the 16hr gap is this just on a fast day or the day leading into a fast day?

During this 16hr gap could I have tea with milk or should I just have water?

PigeonPie Mon 05-Nov-12 22:22:29

Half the 16 hour gap is supposed to be sleep (well some of it!), otherwise, I drink coffee or tea with a very little milk or Bovril.

Definitely worth doing.

GingerLemonTea Mon 05-Nov-12 22:29:33

Thanks, but when do I do these 16hrs, just on 2 days?

PigeonPie Mon 05-Nov-12 22:35:42

It just sort of happens depending on when you have your first meal of the fast. I have supper the day before at 4.30/5ish with the DSs and try not to have anything else after that, then have a smallish breakfast as I can't manage the day without, nothing for lunch - apart from a Bovril - and then a small supper again at 4.30/5ish.

I read that women can 'get away' with 14 hours and so that's pretty much what I do.

I'm pretty flexible and still am losing inches round my waist so am not too hung up on counting calories or exact timings! For me this is a way of eating / way of life, not a diet!

I've also reduced the carbs I eat overall although I can't give them up completely as I like bread etc too much, and this is also helping too. Dr John Briffa has written a really helpful book entitled Escape the Diet Trap which I've found very interesting.

GingerLemonTea Mon 05-Nov-12 22:50:51

Thank you. Tomorrow would be a perfect day for me to fast but am scared I will be too hungry!
Is the 14hr gap essential? Think I had something at 9pm so could eat at 111am.

TomsBentPinky Mon 05-Nov-12 22:53:13

Can i jump in and ask what would happen if i did 2 weeks of 500cals everyday?

I need a big boost but dont want to die. lol

PigeonPie Mon 05-Nov-12 22:55:32

Nothing's written in stone. See how you do tomorrow and go from there. There's not been a huge amount of research done yet on any of this so I think the best thing to do is see what fits into your life.

And - don't give up! If you don't manage one day, leave it a couple of days and try again, it's not the end of the world smile

Good luck. Both DH and I have been doing it since August and are really reaping the benefits.

PigeonPie Mon 05-Nov-12 22:57:36

Toms - that's not a good idea. The science behind this WOE is that you put your body into 'repair mode' rather than the 'starvation mode' which you would do restricting to 500cals for a week. As soon as you go to 'starvation mode' your body will not do a good way of losing weight once you start eating again.

Take it gently and easily and it works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now