Talk

Advanced search

Whole milk & full fat yogurt

(20 Posts)
AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 26-Oct-12 20:10:54

I have just started a weight management programme run by a physiologist. I had to keep a food diary and she has analysed that and recommended a low sugar diet for me.
I was looking at the recipes I've been given and they suggest making porridge with whole milk and having full fat yogurt. Apparently it's something to do with keeping my sugar levels balanced and the low fat versions can be full of sugar.
Has anyone ever come across this before? I'm not doubting the advice I've been given but it just seems so alien to everything I've thought before.

thrifty Fri 26-Oct-12 20:34:03

whole milk and full fat yoghurt, are good fats, most low fat products tend to be high in sugar. your body needs fat to metabolise the carbs you take on board, other good fats are rice bran oil, coconut oil, olive oil. avoid vegetable oil at all costs because its heavily processed. The idea is to cut out anything that is heavily processed that your body cant easily break down and burn up, the calorie content becomes irrelevant if your eating healthily. also stabilising your blood sugars by eating natural healthy low gi foods so you dont peak and crash during the day, makes you less likely to snack and crave bad carbs, cakes etc.
its very hard to find yoghurt without sugar in it, but rachels organics (kids yoghurt) seems to be sugar free.
its very hard to find stuff without sugar in it, if you check all the labels on your food packages, i bet you cant find a jar of sauce or packet of ready made stuff that doesnt have sugar in it (or sugar, veg oil and wheat - and if you do can you tell me what it is!!!)
ps, have lost nearly 2 stone since easter by cutting out processed sugar, processed/hi gi food. smile and still eaten loads of calories/fats, but also lots of good carbs/protein and veggies.

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Oct-12 20:38:39

Good advice from thrifty! How about full fat Greek yoghurt? It's a pain trying to find yoghurt that isn't vile or stuffed with sugar and/or cream.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 26-Oct-12 20:39:28

Thanks thrifty - would you mind telling me what kind of stuff you eat?
I did WeightWatchers for years and I'm just struggling to get away from the whole 'low fat' thing!

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Oct-12 20:39:36

Sorry. Posted too soon. Can't see semi skimmed milk being full if sugar. Perhaps full cream is more filling?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 26-Oct-12 20:52:04

The physiologist suggested the 0% Greek yogurt with added seeds/porridge oats and frozen berries. Like I say, it just seems such a departure from what I've always thought.

thrifty Fri 26-Oct-12 21:00:59

tbh, we use semi skimmed milk, but only becuase its handy, no sugar in milk, but full fat is less processed i guess, also more filling. yes, greek yoghurt is the way to go, you can get big tubs of it in lidl.
crikey, well the 'banned list' was quite extensive, but basically, no white potatoes (though nicola variety ok boiled in the their skins ok - got very excited to find nicola potatoes in lidl last week!), no wheat, but spelt ok (less processed easier to digest), no sugar, no veg oil.
so veg, meat, fish, yoghurt, honey, maple syrup, brown rice, spelt pasta, beans (not heinz!) and pulses, there is so much you can eat (just doesnt seeem like it in the first couple of weeks, lol), cook everything from scratch, you can have puddings, just gotta make em, butter, cheese and dairy allowed, even made yummy ice cream. (85% dark chocolate is your friend ;-) in small doses)
the key is to stick with it (im sure you burn more colories cos your always bloody cooking the next meal,lol).
the thing is, once you cut out the sugar in everything and only have natural sugars, after a few days, you can taste if something has sugar in it, cos it tastes unnaturally sweet, its bizzare, ive always had (and still have a very sweet tooth, so make cakes and biscuits and stuff, but ds cant taste the sweetness in them, not that i like to share them ;-))
i did it a couple of years ago, we had a whole thread going, called isobel los rios diet or something, i have kinda adapted it this year. dp has done it to and lost 2 and 1/2 stone and still drinks lots of beer (not fair emoticon).

thrifty Fri 26-Oct-12 21:01:52

isnt 0% the no fat one though?

Viperidae Fri 26-Oct-12 21:03:46

Agree that food that has been in any way processed tends to have higher sugars so the best way is to have stuff in the form nature makes it e.g. full fat milk. You will also feel fuller for longer so be tempted to snack less.

There are some good ideas on some of the paleo or low carb diet websites or look in on BIWIs bootcamp threads on here. There's lot of ideas and support there.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 26-Oct-12 21:12:08

Excuse my ignorance but what's spelt?

MsRinky Fri 26-Oct-12 21:29:02

No added sugar in milk, of course, but lactose is milk sugar, anything that ends in 'ose' is: glucose, fructose etc. 100 ml of semi skimmed milk has 5.8g of sugar.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 27-Oct-12 16:21:06

So I did the food shopping today and spent ages checking all the labels. And I was totally amazed at the amount of sugar in things I wouldn't have expected. I gave up on yogurt completely because I couldn't find a decent one (they didn't have Rachels). I compared the full fat versions of things with low fat - and generally the low fat always has more sugar - and I would automatically go for the low fat thinking I was doing the right thing. Even the whole milk has less sugar than skimmed - and it took me ages to get used to skimmed!
I feel like I've got to learn everything I though I knew all over again.

SCOTCHandWRY Sat 27-Oct-12 16:50:33

I feel like I've got to learn everything I though I knew all over again

Exactly so, and there are a lot of food manufactures out there who would rather we didn't realise the low fat foods make us fat! They Keep pushing that low fat message and it's so ingrained now, the real problem, increased sugar/carb consumption is not just ignored, it's encouraged!

Milk - may have other health impacts too (related to natural growth hormones in it), as well as the sugar, I have ditched it altogether but use cream and butter (taste great and full of fat soluble vitamins). Coffee with cream in the morning is fabulous and doesn't feel like any kind of diet!

Cutting out wheat (a great idea IMVHO), and sugar may make you feel ill for a few days, so be warned! - headaches especially, but you will feel great once you are through that initial phase, and should have a lot more energy as you won't be lurching from one sugar high/low cycle to the next.

Spelt is a pseudo-grain (not a grass like wheat, barely, oats, rice), and a lot of people use spelt and other pseudo-grains instead of gluten/lectin containing true grains. I have ditched them all together - for now anyway.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 27-Oct-12 17:35:03

Thanks Scotch that's really useful. I'm not planning on cutting out wheat or carbs completely but will definitely be reducing as much as I can. I'm determined to make a go of this so I've stocked up on seeds and nuts and also bought some Red Bush tea. Having chicken casserole for dinner with added borlotti beans. Feeling really positive about it just now so hoping I see some results.

tb Sun 28-Oct-12 13:51:58

Always Dove Farm do a spelt flour. People who have a problem with wheat often find bread/biscuits etc made with spelt flour easier to digest and often doesn't cause them any problems. It's what we used to make bread with before we discovered imported wheats.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sun 28-Oct-12 13:56:25

Scotch you weren't joking about the headaches! My head is absolutely throbbing today and I can only put it down to cutting down on sugar and caffeine in the last few days. Going to go out for a walk in the hope the fresh air will help clear it.

worldcitizen Mon 29-Oct-12 18:22:12

I did exactly what thrifty and scotch have suggested and shared...and I feel fabulous, and lost 18 pounds since mid August.

So almost 20 pounds in nearly 10 weeks WITHOUT exercise, without counting calories, without ever being hungry and no skipping meals, and not eating anything processed etc. Rather the opposite, can hardly eat all I am allowed to eat

So it's grocery shopping twice a week, all fresh and al cooked and prepared from scratch at home, and choosing vegetables and fruits of the season...

Essentially doing everything both have suggested, and from next week on I will start adding exercise for strength and mostly body toning....

I feel fantastic, but had terrible headaches and fatigue during first two weeks and also bad body odour even though I kept washing and cleaning, it was literally getting rid of body toxins...ewww

But also almost no cellulite anymore and also lost visibly body fat, very obvious to me and everyone else. And my face is glowing with beautiful skin!!!!
And the other great part is, I have no cravings anymore. So, I'd say it's not about will power alone, it is about bad food which makes your brain, body, metabolism go haywire.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Mon 29-Oct-12 20:42:42

worldcitizen I am so glad you said that about the body odour. I have definitely been a bit stinky over the last few days and couldn't understand why but that makes sense now!

EnidNightshade Tue 30-Oct-12 22:11:54

So true about the full fat yogurt - even though there are more cals in fat, it makes you feel fuller and has more of the nutrients as they haven't been skimmed out. Plus they are 'live' so good for the innards grin I'm a complete convert. Buy plain and add your own nuts/fruit/honey as flavouring, or have with muesli. Yum!

Total is the best Greek brand, but watch out for their 0% malarkey... Rachel's is good, and there's also Yeo valley natural yogurt, which is my current fave. Many supermarkets do do their own brands, but you really do have to check the label as they can be sneaky with the added sugar...!

Hope the headache is abating...

TalkinPeace2 Wed 31-Oct-12 14:09:40

Full fat milk = 4% fat
Full fat yoghurt = 4.5% fat
Full fat cottage cheese = 6% fat
Single cream = 19% fat
Milk chocolate = 28% fat

all things in perspective

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now