Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

low carb in the evenings only?

(8 Posts)
mangohedgehog Tue 23-Oct-12 12:23:59

I am currently bfeeding so can't really do full-on low carbing, but would still like to shake off this baby weight. About ten years ago I managed to lose a decent amount of weight with a normal calorie-counting type of diet in the daytime and no carbs after 2pm. However 2 kids later I am not sure if my metabolism will respond to this regime or whether i might need something more drastic! Has anyone had success by just doing low carb in the evenings?

blazingoreos Tue 23-Oct-12 13:00:09

It would be tricky to do low carbing just in the evenings!

I personally would consider a calorie controlled diet with a moderate carb intake. This worked for me - I went from 15 stone to 9 stone in 16 months.

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 23-Oct-12 14:14:38

I BF while low carbing... it doesn't reduce the quality of your milk, in fact I read a couple of studies which said the opposite, that BM quality improved on a low carb diet as people tended to replace "empty" calories such as sugar and processed flours with fruit and veg, so they had a higher vitamin intake.

If you crave carbs, it might be harder to stick to no-carbs-after-2pm, than just reducing them across the board. You could always try but you might find you get very hungry in the evening.

mangohedgehog Tue 23-Oct-12 20:49:32

Hey Scotch, how did you get on with it? Did you lose much? Did you feel OK? I'm nervous about doing it because I read something about there being insufficient understanding about the effects of ketones in bmilk.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 24-Oct-12 13:11:36

Why tricky blazingoreos? I have done it in the past, coupled with lots of exercise it is very effective. You wont cause ketosis as with a full on low carb
diet so weight loss doesn't come from that, but it is amazing how many calories carbs add to an evening meal,

Sleepwhenidie Wed 24-Oct-12 13:14:39

Sorry, posted too soon!

Also carbs in the evening aren't needed by your body for energy as you will be resting, you should feel much better for it, less full and bloated. The rest of the time, choose unrefined carbs and minimise them. See how it goes...

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 24-Oct-12 22:47:42

Hey Scotch, how did you get on with it? Did you lose much? Did you feel OK? I'm nervous about doing it because I read something about there being insufficient understanding about the effects of ketones in bmilk

Over the course of the past 7 years (when I started low carb), over 5stones lost. Had a "minor" blip after birth of DS4 (sleep deprevation drove me to carbs), but had been BF for 6months on Paleo before that... I've not heard any concerns about ketones IN breast milk?

I get a lot of info and ideas from these sites - both blogs are free www.dietdoctor.com/
robbwolf.com/

survivingautumn Sat 27-Oct-12 21:40:26

I started low carbing in April and went cold turkey on carbs for a few months and lost over a stone. Now I only low carb in the evenings and the weight is staying off that way so it works for me.

I agree with Sleepwhenidie about not needing carbs in the evening (unless you work night shift or something!) so it is a good time to fast from carbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now