Talk

Advanced search

Low Carb Question about commitment

(8 Posts)
quietlysuggests Mon 08-Oct-12 14:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DIYapprentice Mon 08-Oct-12 17:24:23

If you are just cutting back on carbs a little indulgence every now and then won't affect you.

However, if you are genuinely going low carb you will be trying to get into ketosis. It takes about 2-3 days to do that, and so a day of cheating will set you back and you will have to start again. If you really want carb indulgences, then you should look for a different diet.

If you want a diet that is lower in carbs but does allow some perhaps try something like the CSIRO diet. It allows a high fibre carb breakfast, and either up to 2 pieces of bread or an alternative carb, and two small indulgences a week.

captainmummy Mon 08-Oct-12 17:28:26

Check out BIWI's low-carb threads, and bootcamps. The rules and listsof allowed veg are on there too. Everyone is really friendly and helpful.

CackleMeIAmYours Mon 08-Oct-12 18:18:38

Second the suggestions to checkout BIWIs threads.

It is pretty hardcore though, the first few days without carbs are hard work. I managed to get through them and then cheated (one slice of carrot cake). Now, I feel back to square one (headachy, craving carbs) it really wasn't worth it.

So in answer to your question, no, you won't be able to have an evening off without a fairly serious amount of pain. One slice of carrot cake will now cause me 3-4 days of problem.

<<kicks self>>

quietlysuggests Mon 08-Oct-12 18:52:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

captainmummy Tue 09-Oct-12 08:43:39

Honestly, Quietly,once you are in the swing of it, you won't miss popcorn or sweet stuff. I loved bread (lived on it,mainly) and don't miss it. (I've been low-carbing since mid-june and can't see me going back to low-cal, and I'm nearly at target). Milk you can have, coke not! There are lots you can have tho, and things can be substituted ie celeriac chips or mash for potatoes, Kale crisps for crisps, and even pancakes can be made with cheese and eggs! Lots of veg, in fact can be used in other ways.

But the very best thing is - you can eat cream! Cheese! Full-fat yog and mayo! No more low-fat crap that tastes of artificial sweetener and bulking agents! Real FOOD!

Try it. Once you are over the 1st few days you will not look back.
Not trying to convert you, but join us (sounds a bit spooky and borg-like but really, not that bad!)

herbaceous Fri 12-Oct-12 16:02:53

<pssst, OP, over here>

I did a few weeks of low-carbing before my holiday this year, and have to say I did find it pretty hard, especially fitting it in with toddler meals, vegetarian partner, etc. (Veggie meals are pretty high-carb, generally).

Whilst on holiday I ate carbs again, though not huge quantities, and have carried on doing so. And guess what? I've lost more weight. Not sure if a bit of low-carbing kick-started my body into burning fat, or what, but it appears that it's not the end of the world if you have a couple of weeks break and/or fall face first into a tray of French patisserie.

Viperidae Fri 12-Oct-12 16:12:36

I think it is just getting your head around it that is hardest. All the things you thought were "good" like low fat yoghurts, in fact low fat anything! Once you grasp it though it isn't that hard and it does reset your appetite and reduce sweet cravings.

My experience is that a big cheat once a week does less damage on the scales, than lots of little ones, probably due to the ketosis thing but, luckily, I don't feel ill when I cheat unless I really over-pigout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now