Talk

Advanced search

5:2 dieters - Some thoughts

(5 Posts)
dalek Sun 07-Oct-12 21:48:32

I am doing Cambridge but am struggling. I have just watched the Horizon programme about intermittent fasting. Do you think I could do it and on the fast days just do Cambridge (just under 500 cals)?

All replies gratefully recieved

awaywego1 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:26:59

Do you mean eat normally the rest if the week and then do Cambridge 2 days? If so I'm sure that's fine-it doesn't seem to matter what you eat on fast days as long as it is around 500 cals BUT it is important that you eat above bmr on the other days.

dalek Sun 07-Oct-12 23:19:48

Thank you awaywego1. Why is it necessary to eat above bmr on eating days (not that that is a problem)?

dalek Mon 08-Oct-12 10:42:52

Also quick question - do the fast days have to be the same days every week? Is it necessary to be in a routine?

MikeOxard Mon 08-Oct-12 13:20:27

They don't have to be the same days each week, you can pick whichever days work for you and switch them around to suit you. There are no rules about what you eat on the other 5 days. You don't 'have' to eat above bmr. I think some people are just very worried about starvation mode, which personally I think is a bit overstated. The only 'rules' on 5:2 are keep to 500 Cals on 2 days per week. That's it. Good luck. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now