Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge diet (CD) how do people maintain when they stop? Any tips?

(13 Posts)
Elderwand Sat 06-Oct-12 11:17:36

Just that really. Sorry if its been done before.

I'm finishing my stint in the cd in 3 weeks time but am worried sick that I will pile it all on again- even with healthy eating, exercise etc.

Any tips?

Elderwand Sat 06-Oct-12 14:57:36

So everyone piles it back on. Great! smile

mumof3boys01 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:16:32

Hi I did the Cambridge diet for a few months sole source,lost 5 1/2 stone did put the 1/2 stone on when I stopped tend to just avoid to many carbs and half heartily follow slimming world plan and have maintained for a month.Mind you still have another 8 stone to lose.

Elderwand Tue 09-Oct-12 19:20:46

Thanks so much for posting!

Xxxxxx

cinnamongreyhound Wed 10-Oct-12 06:48:38

I personally don't have any experience but have looked at cd out of interest when I started loosing weight. The website looks to me like they have a very good plan for returning to normal eating after the sole source. There were several steps where you slowly decrease the number of meal replacements and increase normal healthy meals do you have that kind of plan in place? Essentially the meal replacements are just very low calorie to help you lose fast as long as you are consuming the same/less than your using you won't pile it back on. I've lost 5 1/2st by initially cutting down portions and reducing snacking and then using mfp to monitor calories, have maintained for last 3 months and am still eating things I enjoy. Good luck with it all smile

TellMeLater Wed 10-Oct-12 10:01:18

Well done on your weight loss, it's a good idea to plan your maintenance strategy.

For some reason maintaining threads never get many replies, maybe people bugger off once they have reached their desired weight. confused
I didn't do Cambridge but after losing a couple of stone I have maintained by low carbing, exercising and 5:2 fasting - sounds restrictive but it suits me. My weight fluctuates by 7lbs, mostly water retention but I have maintained within that for 6 months now.

Elderwand Wed 10-Oct-12 10:31:45

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at the cd maintenance plan but it just the cost. It's expensive now, and I don't want to be paying for weeks etc

Just wondering if people do it any cheaper.

Rockchick1984 Wed 10-Oct-12 11:21:38

I've never done a meal replacement diet, but for me slimming world was amazing as it completely re-educates you on how to eat properly rather than being a restricted diet. I lost weight on it, and once you are at target weight you can keep going each week for free to help you maintain your weight loss. My group had about 6 people who went every week for free just because it encouraged them not to gain any little bits here and there! Would something like that work for you?

Elderwand Wed 10-Oct-12 11:37:40

Never done sw, is it a bit like weight watchers?

Rockchick1984 Wed 10-Oct-12 13:06:44

I think so (never done weight watchers!!) but no measuring portion sizes etc. basically you have a list of super-free foods (most fruit and veg), and each time you eat 1/3 of your meal should be these. Other 2/3 will be free foods which is things like meat, pasta, potato etc. You get an allowance of Syns which are basically treats, these will cover things like gravy, bread, chocolate etc, and can be saved up if you want a treat like wine or a take away. The idea is you will fill up on the super-free stuff and it helps you lose / maintain weight.

It worked for me because I need to be able to have treats etc, and I've got a big appetite so where a recipe says it serves 4 I will make it for me and DH blush but I lost weight easily on SW despite this and was never hungry. I stopped going a while ago (DH changed jobs and struggle to get to a class now) but have mostly stuck to the plan anyway and am still losing weight, although a lot slower as I'm not as motivated now!

shineonucrazydiamond Thu 11-Oct-12 11:10:42

Hello.

This is my story : )

I started CD in july weighing 12 stone 4 and a size 14/16. I did SS for 8 weeks with no deviation at all - 3 packs a day, 2 litres of water. I'm only amazed that it didn't finish me off!

In week 8 I began to feel ill so I made the decision to come off CD. By then I was 10 stone. I decided to calorie count - this I firmly believe is the key to keeping the weight off. You need to be vigilant after a VLCD.

Anyway, so I have been CC for about 6 or so weeks now and have lost more weight - I am currently 9 stone 4 and a size 8/10 - so, no... you won't put the weight back on if you're careful.

I didn't work up the CD steps as it's just another way to take your money : ) I ate 800 calories a day - all carefully recorded - and very slowly increased this. I continued to lose weight during this time < studies prove that, after the first few weeks on a VLCD there is no difference in eating 400 calories or 800 calories a day - your losses will be the same and i was proof of this > and I am happy with my weight now. Yes, I am aiming for 9 stone but I am perfectly content.

So don't worry < this in itself can be a form of self sabotage - keep concentrating on your main goal for now ! > but DO make sure you carefully count calories afterwards. That is all you need to do - and it works.

Elderwand Fri 12-Oct-12 20:24:10

Thanks shine- what a inspiring story- you give me hope! thanks

venerab38 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:54:54

Hi, I was on Cambridge Diet for about 13 weeks. I loved the weightless. I lost 40 pounds..But then I did something awful. I got off it very fast as I was in the mountains exercising a lot and felt ill due to low calories intake. I developed Small bowel obstruction/ileus and did not stop throwing up for 2 days straight. I am now in weight watchers trying to keep my calorie intake in control but I still have about 16 more pounds to loose, or about one stone. Has any one ever experienced this terrible experience? Also, what would you guys recommend, should I go back to cambridge diet? The doctors abroad told me to stop the diet but the UK GP said I could go back to this food since my body is used to do it? Any recommendations? I feel it would be great to go back, just so I can have the chance to do the maintenance steps meaningfully, what would you all recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now