Talk

Advanced search

Low carb fat:protein:carb ratio help?

(5 Posts)
slowlygoingbonkers Sat 29-Sep-12 17:07:02

As title says really. What ratios do I need for a general low carb diet? Need to lose some weight.
Tia

superfanny Sat 29-Sep-12 19:07:58

Just eat less and do a bit more exercise and weight will come off slowly but surely

sparkle12mar08 Mon 01-Oct-12 20:03:47

A 35:35:30 ratio could be classed as lower carb compared to most peoples macros which probably average 35:15:50, and 50:35:15 is more on the truly low carb side. Of course the exact ratios will depend on your personal details and requirements.

TellMeLater Mon 01-Oct-12 21:16:06

I thought Low carb ratios are more likely 15% carbs, 15% protein & 70% fat...eating too much protein isn't good for your body - swap most carb energy for fat.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 02-Oct-12 08:07:11

True too much protein is bad for you, but most people vastly undereat on protein. We should be aiming for 0.8-1g protein per pound body weight. I've read studies that show around half of people eat less than 50% of their requirement, and barely 20% of people eat their full requirement, the rest being somewhere in betweeen. Athletes should be aiming for around 1.6-1.8 g per pound body weight, very small people or the truly sedentary might need only 0.6g per pound. So on a non calorie restricted diet your ratios will be about right 15:15:70, on a calorie restricted diet as well as a low carb focus (perhaps where the person has a lot to loose or wants to shift the last few pounds), the extra reduction has to come from the extra fat which bumps up the other ratios on a proportionate (though not absolute grammes) basis. Personally I favour a fairly balanced set, 100g carbs and min 90g protein a day and letting fat fill the rest results in something like 35f:30p:35c on average for me, but them I'm calorie restricted too atm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now