Talk

Advanced search

Totally clueless and need exercise advice pretty please!

(5 Posts)
MaBaya Sat 29-Sep-12 11:10:06

I have recently lost a fair amount of weight - about 20 lbs and gone down from a buxom size 14 to a small 12. I've done it through a combination of diet and stress...its been a hectic year! I am pretty pleased that I have managed to shift this last bit of weight. Its the first time I have been pre-pregnancy size since having my first child seven years ago! BUT...I am SO bloody untoned and unfit its depressing.

I really really want to get fit for myriad reasons:

- to improve my fitness and health. I get loads of aches and pains, especially in my back, and get breathless going up and down stairs. I am mid thirties, so too young to be this decrepid.

- to improve my mental health. I suffer with depression and would really like to finally bite the bullet and take everyone and their dog's advice that exercising improves mood.

- to tone up! My bum is saggy and lifeless, my thighs are skinny and stringy and my stomach is a car crash. I would really like to build up my thighs so that they are a bit stronger and thicker.

I just have no idea where to start?! Cant afford gym membership or a personal trainer. No idea what exercise I should start with, how long, how often etc? I have the 30 day shred DVD and a pilates DVd at home. I am soooooo unfit and a bit overwhelmed with it allc.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks for reading.

TellMeLater Sat 29-Sep-12 11:51:14

I'd do a combination of running and The Shred. Running outside will make you feel better, the shred will help build muscle. Start running gradually using the c25k - head over to the support thread for both of these programs and you'll get all the help and support you need. Good luck!

strandednomore Sat 29-Sep-12 11:56:46

Completely agree about running - gets you fit, helps you lose/keep off weight, is great mentally (I listen to music but find my mind drifts and I come up with some great ideas when I am running) and is totally free! I did the C25K downloaded free from NHS choices and never looked back.
I would also recommend pilates to tone and build up core strength. Could you afford a course to get you going - I do think it helps if you have someone explaining exactly what you do before trying it on your own at home.

Sleepwhenidie Tue 02-Oct-12 09:20:26

Exactly what tellmelater said.

ThreeEdgedSword Fri 05-Oct-12 12:09:57

If you have the console, UFC Trainer for the Xbox Kinect is really good. It's a tough workout the first few times, but you feel really good about yourself when you finish one, and it tones you up like you wouldn't believe smile. Also good for losing weight, I went from flabby size 14 to toned size 12 in a month without having to drastically alter my diet, it's amazing what you can get away with eating when you use this grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now