Talk

Advanced search

Please help me decide

(6 Posts)
lakia Wed 26-Sep-12 09:33:42

I started the cambridge almost 6 weeks ago and have lost 21 pounds.
However now I am struggling with the restrictions on food no potato, cereal bread is the worst.
Also the cost is extemely off putting about £40 a week.
I have done well on the diet but feel like going it alone and just eating sensibly surely I will still lose weight.
The reason I got so big in the first place was because of stuffing myself with chocolate, cakes takeaways etc.
At the same time I like the idea of quicker weight loss and can,t be bothered with a pound or 2 a week whereas on this diet I have been doing 4 or 5 a week.
Help me decide please I am due to see my consultant today.
The diet is getting so boring.

lakia Wed 26-Sep-12 09:41:34

anybody

emsyj Wed 26-Sep-12 09:49:10

If I were you, I would join WeightWatchers. I don't know anything about the Cambridge diet other than what you have said, but losing 4 or 5lb a week over a significant period is not healthy or sustainable - you can't lose fat at that rate, you will be losing water and lean muscle. IMO a diet that cuts out whole food groups, unless it is required for medical reasons, is not something that you can maintain for life so what would you plan to do when you've lost the weight you want to lose?

If you 'can't be bothered with a pound or 2 a week', which is a healthy, sustainable fat loss, then perhaps you're not ready to lose weight. That is, realistically, the amount you should be losing. Losing a pound a week on a diet plan that is sensible and that doesn't make you feel as though you have no life and doesn't encourage an obsession with food is surely better than either a regime so strict that you can't stick with it or continuing in the way you were before? Have you ever seen what a pound of body fat looks like? If you had, I think you would be less dismissive of the idea of a one pound a week loss (which adds up to 52lb a year, nearly 4 stone).

Weightwatchers is just about portion control and educating yourself about food and how much you can eat of which types of food in order to maintain a healthy weight. I don't work for them by the way, I've just used the plan myself and found it to be a manageable plan that fits in with real life and that results in sustainable weight loss. Give it a try.

MorrisZapp Wed 26-Sep-12 09:56:19

A pound a week sounds damn good to me! And you can eat too - what's not to love? Forty quid a week to not eat, those maths don't add up to me. Just think of forty quid a week of lovely healthy treats, new clothes etc.

I'd ditch the vlcd and start living.

Rooble Wed 26-Sep-12 10:10:55

Agree with the posts above. 1-2lb is sustainable and stays off once you've lost it - if you're losing vast amounts by barely eating they will return as soon as you start again. I did GI diet, lovely food, never hungry, lost 2.5 stones in 5 months - but haven't gained it again

Jahan Wed 26-Sep-12 12:04:09

I agree with everyone else too. I know a couple of people who did this type of diet and they put all the weight back on.

trying to be sensible with food is your best bet. As you've gone without food anyway, try to not snack at all and stick to 3 healthy meals a day.

If you're really missing things like cereal, bread and potatoes then you might be in trouble as you need to really limit those things when trying to lose weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now