Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone overcome emotional eating?

(10 Posts)
Movingforward123 Fri 21-Sep-12 14:49:26

If so how?

I feel that I am emotionally eating, I want to loose weight but continue to eat even when I know I am not hungry! How can I overcome this problem?

curiouscat Fri 21-Sep-12 18:20:40

Hi, I haven't overcome it but sometimes having celery/carrots ready to snack on can divert the impulse. Or try telling yourself you can have it in 10 minutes, by which time you'll be less interested. Or have a glass of water instead. While cooking I find sugar free gum stops me tasting stuff. Good luck, and I hope someone else comes with more ideas. It's a tough one.

Fluffy1234 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:23:06

I have.
I used to eat when I had good news, bad news, was happy, nervous, bored, excited, lonely, stressed etc.
I just said to myself last year it is my hand that is putting the food in my mouth and I only I can stop it. I haven't eaten a single chocolate in 19 months and have gone from 13 and a half stone to 9 stone.

Movingforward123 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:02:05

cusiouscat thank you for the tips, I will give some of them a try!

Movingforward123 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:05:58

fluffy wow well done smile that is amazing! Did you eat a lot of chocolate before? How long did you comfort eat for? And did you try to look into the underlying problems as to why you did it? Or you just stop? you have done so well!

Goldensunnydays81 Fri 21-Sep-12 20:12:58

Will be watching with interested I am
a really bad emotional eater but am ok at giving up things once I start so gave up diet coke in January and gave up chocolate 5 weeks ago now just got to give up biscuits and crisps now!!
My family seem to be my trigger well have had them all staying this week and it has got a lot worse!!
I have got a book on emotional eating that i am going to dig out in a bit and have a read and sort my head out!!

SoleSource Sun 23-Sep-12 16:36:10

Me, I am very addicted to emotional eating. I think that is simpke but very effective advice .fluffy.

Fluffy1234 Sun 23-Sep-12 16:45:28

I used to eat a box of chocs pretty much each evening and often about a third of a tube of pringles as well. Also my dinners were to big. I knew what I was doing wrong but just didn't care. It was a cruel comment from 'D'H that made me sort it all out. It wasn't actually that hard to ditch my emotional eating because all the time I thought right that's it I will get into a size 10 and divorce the bastard! As the weight came of I felt really good and am actually thankful for his honesty ( I wouldn't tell him that). I now don't want to divorce him and graciously accepted his apology by way of a gorgeous Tiffanys necklace. Funny how things worked out.

aroomofherown Sun 23-Sep-12 18:25:14

I have. I think it depends on why you eat.

For me it was about realising that I ate in order to feel cared for. I started to care for myself in other ways (bought a few new clothes, something I rarely used to do, went to the hairdresser etc). I knew the one thing that would improve my quality of life would be to lose weight - eventually (after being on holidays with thin and gorgeous friends) I realised? admitted? decided? that I deserved to be happy in my own body just as much as anyone else.

I also had to tell myself when hungry that it was ok, I would get fed and I wasn't going to starve forever - just needed to wait until the dinner was ready (avoid bad pre dinner snacking) etc.

I'm now getting into clothes that I never dreamt I could wear smile

WillowFae Fri 12-Oct-12 13:53:12

Have a look at overeaters anonymous - there may be a meeting near you.

www.oa-gb.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now