Please explain the Hay Diet

(6 Posts)
HoleyCow Wed 12-Sep-12 20:03:45

Has anyone tried it and how well does it work/easy is it to follow? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 13-Sep-12 13:31:50

I have no idea but am bumping for you!

HoleyCow Thu 13-Sep-12 15:41:50

Thanks Hokey but maybe nobody does it any more. Saw an article about it in yesterday's papers and it sounded quite interesting.

OP’s posts: |
Pompano Thu 13-Sep-12 15:43:05

Honestly, it was a huge fad in the mid (?) 1990's but I don't think anyone saw lasting benefits from it. I certainly didn't. It's not easy to follow if you eat out or travel a lot either.
A more similar but more modern alternative would be the Harcombe Diet. I've never tried that one though.

StuckInTheFensAwayFromHome Thu 13-Sep-12 16:11:58

My boyfriend has been eating along these principles for years, and I've found myself doing it since I moved in 18 months ago. I'd heard of it in the past but it def. wasn't fashionable/trendy as I struggled to find any books about it, and ended up finding one second hand.

Its not really aimed at losing weight - although weight loss may be a (lucky) side effect. Its about making it easier for your stomach to digest food, which brings about a healthier well being. The science behind it is about not mixing foods that have opposite effects on your stomachs acidity - 'don't eat the foods that fight together'. In simple terms it boils down to not mixing starchy carbohydrates with proteins. Certain foods are neutral and can be eaten with anything (usually veg). In reality my breakfasts and lunches are carbohydrate based, and my evening meal is protein based.

For me it has really stabilised my shape - I quickly dropped from a 14/16 to a 12 and I have stayed that size now for a year. I eat a lot - people are sometimes astounded at my intake. I notice that I do not get indigestion/stomach bloatedness and other similar things which I thought were part and parcel of life. It has taken a lot of getting used to, but now its second nature to eat like this.

I'm not an expert but if you have any specific questions I can try to answer what I've found over the last year.

haggishbash Sun 08-Mar-20 20:05:13

Hi, ive got a book that explains it really well. If you do it well then you can control your weight, bowel conditions, skin conditions, indigestion, heartburn, hiatus hernia, headaches, ect, ect. have a look on www.haydiets.com and see for yourself.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in