Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried cutting out bread in order to lose weight?

(42 Posts)
rainbowinthesky Sat 31-Mar-12 13:57:27

Really want to lose 2 stone as no clothes to wear and although I belong to a gym I rarely get to go as dd is unwell a lot of the time.
I love bread and am sure if I give it up I would naturally lose weight and feel much better? Is it a good idea or not worth it? What can I eat to deal with the inevitable cravings?

Fluffy1234 Sat 31-Mar-12 15:37:19

It will work. To beat the cravings you could try and cut down gradually. Although I just went cold turkey. I swapped baquettes for omelettes and prawn salads and the weight dropped of.

foreverondiet Sat 31-Mar-12 21:10:19

Not just bread - not much point unless you give up wheat! Replacing bread with shredded wheat and pasta will not help. Even better give up grains and eat omelettes and chicken/prawn/tuna salads.

rainbowinthesky Sat 31-Mar-12 21:15:36

Thanks for advice. Any type of crackers that I can eat?

MuslinSuit Sat 31-Mar-12 21:16:58

Yep cut out bread and other white carbs, up your protein and fat intake and the weight will fall off smile

rainbowinthesky Sat 31-Mar-12 21:17:56

When you say up your fat intake what do you mean? Do you mean cheeses and meat?

qo Sat 31-Mar-12 21:18:24

BREAD MAKES YOU FAT??! shock

[/scott pilgrim]

Namechangingtorant Sat 31-Mar-12 21:22:05

It's always worked for me!

BehindLockNumberNine Sat 31-Mar-12 21:25:14

I am seriously considering this. I feel quite happy about cutting out bread but am struggeling with the rice / pasta. We eat a lot of this as a family but meal planning has suddenly got a lot tougher. Was planning on starting after easter as dd and I are going to be baking an Easter cake...

GoblersKnob Sat 31-Mar-12 21:26:37

I have given up wheat (though not all wheat gluten when present in small amounts in things I wouldn't expect it to be in iyswim) and i have just deflated is amazing.

I did really miss bread for a while but now in all honesty I look at it and it looks a bit gross and I know if I eat a couple of slices I would feel like I had swallowed a house brick.

Actually not true, the only time I really miss bread is when everyone else had egg and soliders, there is just nothing else you can stick in a dippy egg.

GoblersKnob Sat 31-Mar-12 21:28:06

I still eat brown rice, but in small portion sizes comapred to what it is with, ie big portion of chilli, very small portion of rice. I eat potatoes and still love porridge.

rainbowinthesky Sat 31-Mar-12 21:31:20

Is porridge a no no on this diet? Can I have those oat biscuit things?

rubyrubyruby Sat 31-Mar-12 21:33:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyrubyruby Sat 31-Mar-12 21:33:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cybbo Sat 31-Mar-12 21:33:38

Yes I ahve cut out bread before and the weight dropped off. I wasnt eating as much butter/cheese/peanut butter as a knock on effect

hardly ever farted, either

Tortington Sat 31-Mar-12 21:34:11

bread is rammed with sugar - cutting out carbs is the key www.carbfree.wordpress.com

foreverondiet Sat 31-Mar-12 22:09:40

I have omelette and yoghurt with seeds breakfast.
Salad, generally with tinned fish for lunch
Meat and veg for dinner.

Snacks - fruit (try to stick to 2 pieces per day) or nuts (25g a day).

Oats better than wheat and sugar but I still don't really eat.

jocesar Sat 31-Mar-12 23:40:00

Just had to say that asparagus is great dipped in soft boiled eggs!

TheFarSide Sat 31-Mar-12 23:52:21

Years ago, I gave up wheat and dairy for a WHOLE YEAR and lost loads of weight - I was eating a lot of bananas, baked potatoes, avocados, hummus, meat, oats, eggs etc to fill me up. It was almost the perfect diet because I used to eat and eat and eat and was skinny as a rake. I don't know if it would work now on my menopausal body and I just haven't got the strength to stick to such a strict diet these days ... but I have fond memories of eating so much (eg two baked potatoes for lunch) that my colleagues thought I must be bulimic.

rainbowinthesky Sun 01-Apr-12 17:17:17

Hi
Okay, trying no diary and no wheat then. Also doing it to see if it improves my rhinitis.

Is rye bread okay?

TheFarSide Sun 01-Apr-12 18:52:52

Depends how strict you want to be. I think rye bread often contains some wheat. For me, I think it was giving up large volumes of bread, cakes, cheese and milk that made the difference.

bibbityisaporker Sun 01-Apr-12 18:58:05

I am sure it will help ... but can you keep it up forever?

I am always majorly confused about people who espouse low carb diets. Its just the same as any other diet afaics - you cut out or hugely restrict a tricky food group. You set up enormous cravings for said food in doing so. You eventually snap and eat a slice of bread and then hate yourself. You hate yourself so you reach for something comforting to eat ... the weight (plus a few lb more) goes back on again.

TheFarSide Sun 01-Apr-12 19:12:16

To be honest bibbity I agree. It worked for me when I was in my late 20s and single and therefore able to control my diet, but it all went to pot when I started living with boyfriends again. They used to bring BREAD into the house shock and I just couldn't resist.

rainbowinthesky Sun 01-Apr-12 19:21:59

I managed cambridge diet and didnt eat proper food for over 3 months. A lot of the weight has crept back after 6 years. Would love to do cambridge again but cant afford it.

QueenStromba Sun 01-Apr-12 19:30:23

Actually bibbity, the good thing about a low carb diet is that if you can stick with it for the first couple of weeks you stop craving carbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now