Talk

Advanced search

Pauline Quirke / Lighter Life

(6 Posts)
Sylvana Mon 17-Oct-11 21:05:49

I can't find any threads about this but doesn't Pauline Quirke look fantastic ? She looks 20 years younger. An 8 stone weight loss since January is pretty amazing .... she must be such an inspiration to those with a lot of weight to lose. Link here:

www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/10/17/pauline-quirke-the-three-warning-signs-i-was-eating-myself-to-death-115875-23493524/

What are your thoughts ? Has anyone tried Lighter Life and did you have success ?

saffron Tue 18-Oct-11 00:33:23

Our best friends did. Big F went down from 33 stone to 15. A EIGHTEEN stone loss.
His wife lost 7 stone. They look brilliant (they both have overhangs on their stomachs, but no bingo wings or turkey necks strangely)
It is a harsh way to diet and the main thing (from what F has told me) is the maintenance program, they still go every week to have a chat and a weigh in with their advisor. Apparently most people get to a weight they are confident with and stop the diet and support from their advisor and the weight creeps up. They have both maintained their weights for the last 4 years, and I am so proud of them bothgrin phew thats a bit of an essay.

fedupandtired Tue 18-Oct-11 17:05:47

She looks fab and has done really well.

I lost 3 and a half stone on the Cambridge Diet which is similar but half the price. I managed to maintain it for a good six months but redundancy and illness contributed to me putting one and a half stone back on so re-started last Thursday. So far so good.

If you're determined and do change your eating habits it's not too difficult to maintain the weight loss. As with any diet though if you return to your old eating habits you will put the weight back on.

Sylvana Tue 18-Oct-11 19:03:35

Gosh, your friends did really well saffron, imagine losing 18 stone, a whole obese person! I'm sure the Cambridge diet is very similar, these programmes work if you continue with them even after reaching your goal - thats the key. Its a lifeline for those with a lot of weight to lose.

LapsedPacifist Fri 21-Oct-11 15:46:39

I've been on Lighter Life Lite programme for almost 6 weeks and have lost about 20lb so far. Two women I know both lost about 8 stone last year on the LL Total programme (which you follow if you have a BMI of 30+) and have kept it off.

The Lite programme allows you one low-carb meal per day (veg + protein) plus a small amount of dairy and fats, as well as 3 meal substitutes, aiming for a daily calorie intake of 800-1200 depending on how strict you want to be.

The speedy weight-loss is brilliant. The programme is expensive however, a minimum of £54 per week. I have been suffering with digestive problems though, very bad constipation, and I've now got piles as a result. I have to take psyllium husk or Fybogel before meals which is making me horrendously flatulent. Sorry if TMI - but I do feel this is a side effect which is completely dismissed by the counsellors. It is making my work and social life very difficult - have to keep running off to the loo all the time to let out thunderous great farts blush and the trapped wind can get very uncomfortable.

I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks however until I've got down to a healthy BMI (another 12lb.)I really need to lose this weight for heath reasons - I have problems which affect my mobility (the main reason I have gained so much weight recently) and weight loss is one of the few things that will help me. I'm willing to put up with the short-term fartiness for long-term improvement to my health.

As an aside though, I do get very irritated by people assuming that VLCD diets are automatically useless and you will always regain the weight. You have to get your GP's approval to join the LL Total programme - you won't be accepted if your doctor won't sign the forms. You also spend an hour each week in group counselling sessions, to help you understand why you have become overweight.

If you have health probs that mean you are very sedentary, these diets may be the only way to shift the weight in the short-to-medium term. It can take a very long time to lose weight by more conventional methods isuch as low-carbing, calorie-counting, WW, SW etc you can't exercise at all. If being very overweight is badly affecting your health then sometimes you just have to shift it fast, then concentrate on maintaining the weight loss through healthier eating afterwards.

LapsedPacifist Fri 21-Oct-11 15:48:42

Sorry that should read "by more conventional methods such as low-carbing, calorie-counting, WW, SW etc, IF you can't exercise at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now