Talk

Advanced search

Slimming World or WW?

(9 Posts)
GravityDefier Thu 13-Oct-11 12:15:52

Hello,

I am not overweight but have gained a lot of weight in the last few years. I am now at 71 kilos and am 1.7m tall. So I am only just in the healthy weight range and while I know this is great I don't feel good like this and would love to lose about 1.5 stone (I would still be in the healthy weight range). I have been at that weight before and felt better and fitter.

I have tried quite a bit before but I can't seem to do it all by myself. My DP can eat whatever he wants and is still very skinny and I am tempted to eat whenever and whatever he eats.
He is supportive of me losing weight but I seem to lack the self-control. I try and try, but even when I buy loads of fruit and suff I like I walk to the corner shop and get myself candy. Especially chocolate.

So I thought maybe a group could help me. Being forced to take time to think about diet regularly, someone else weighing me and so on.

I do have quite a stressful life at the moment though and would love something without too much fuss. I love to cook from scratch but I don't want to have too much weighing to do. And I am in my last year of a degree and don't want to go hungry either, as I need to concentrate. I also love carbs, but could cut down a bit. I just don't want to cut them out completely.

I do want to lose weight but I also want to improve my general health, eat more regularly, eat the right food and feel better overall. So I need a bit of help with nutrition I guess.

Do either Weight Watchers or Slimming World sound like they could work for me? Which one do you prefer? Why?

Does it make sense for me to join them even though I am not overweight yet? I am just worried if I keep eating like this and won't get support I will get overweight pretty quickly now.

This might sound silly but do you think people in the groups would mind if there is someone there who isn't extremely overweight/only wants to lose a stone?

Thanks for you help smile

QueenStromba Thu 13-Oct-11 14:55:26

I've not been a member of either but Slimming World looks a lot better for teaching you healthy eating habits.

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 13-Oct-11 15:29:20

WW is a lot better for teaching sustainable eating habits though, no one can live forever without the odd treat and its much more forgiving on alcohol which is the most important thing wine

grinningzombee Thu 13-Oct-11 15:34:52

A big vote for SW here. I've lost over 3st since the end of May with it, and you can eat or drink anything you like as a treat. Nothing is "banned".

smile

GravityDefier Thu 13-Oct-11 17:14:46

Thanks for all the comments.

Why do you think WW is more sustainable, WeShould? As Grinning says SW does allow snacks.

GravityDefier Thu 13-Oct-11 17:15:09

Oh and well done Grinning for losing 3 stone! That is amazing.

lostinwales Thu 13-Oct-11 17:20:57

I've lost weight on both (got pregnant again after SW and of course put it all back on.) I would say both are good if you have a decent chunk of weight to lose (like me blush) but WW is better at showing you portion control and also alters the amount of 'points' to consume depending on how much you weigh. I have lost with both but slimmer friends have struggled with SW. Both show you a healthier way of eating and allow you wiggle room for treats.

maxcliffordslovechild Thu 13-Oct-11 17:35:53

I lost 2 stone with slimming world and found it very easy, I can eat what everyone else in the family eats and still have a daily dose of chocolate. I think they are both much of a muchness, why not buy the magazines for both and have a look at the recipes and stories and see which one would suit you best? As for only needing to lose a stone and a half that's fine, no slimming club will tell you what you should weigh because that is very much down to the individual . Good luck smile

GravityDefier Fri 14-Oct-11 00:53:55

Thanks.

I have read a few reviews online and it seems like you are right, lostinwales, a lot of people who don't need to lose weight seem to struggle with SW. I quite like the idea of not having to count points though, as I am worried I might give up on that too easily.

I definitely need treats (especially after busy days) so it's good to know they both allow for that. And show you healthy eating. I mean I know the basics, it's just that I don't really follow them blush

Max, I have been buying the SW magazines for a while, some of the recipes are great! And quite easy. I just have never followed a plan.
I am just a bit worried to go to the meetings and people maybe being a bit negative towards me because I don't have that much to lose. But I don't want to do the online programme as I am just not good without an outside control. So the support from group members is really important to me!

Do you get diaries, info material etc in the meetings? Or is everything done online nowadays?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now