Talk

Advanced search

Are fresh fruit tarts fattening?

(13 Posts)
forehead Mon 10-Oct-11 12:31:03

My dsis seems to think that fresh fruit tarts are fattening. However, i think that if the top of the tart is entirely fresh fruit, how can it be fattening.?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 10-Oct-11 12:32:10

It's the tart that's fattening, and the fruit itself is full of sugr too. Just becauseit's got fruit somewhere in it, doesn't mean it's automatically good for you.

cazzzz Mon 10-Oct-11 12:36:02

The most fattening parts would be the pastry base, any custard / cream and any sugar or sugary glaze.
Fruit itself does have a small calorific value so in theory ... Yes, if you ate enough of the fresh fruit alone it could be fattening.

ppeatfruit Mon 10-Oct-11 13:41:15

forhead your dsis is right. Yes as cazz says. Also the actual COMBINING of the fruit and pastry is not good for yr digestion because fruit is digested much quicker than pastry (unless it's banana) so it sits in your gut rotting and you don't get the benefit of the vitamins, just a belly ache and or arthritic joints and spots (I know this isn't the traditional view) but believe me it's true.

Dh and I have stopped eating fruit straight after a meal and within one e.g. fruit crumbles,tarts etc. We both feel SOO much better. I have fantastic smoothies for breakfast and have lost 2 stone eating like this (along with the Paul Mckenna)!

BakeliteBelle Mon 10-Oct-11 14:47:05

If you took the fruit off, put it in a sieve, ran it under a tap to wash the sugar glaze and creme anglais off, and then chucked the remainder of the tart away, it wouldn't be too fattening.

An alternative would be to buy fresh fruit....

Grumpla Mon 10-Oct-11 14:49:09

Well I'd definitely count them as one of my five a day grin

jade80 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:52:49

Well it depends how many you eat really. 5 at a sitting? Yes, fattening. 10? Even more so. One? Probably not although it depends how much you've been pigging out!

jade80 Mon 10-Oct-11 14:53:51

Oh and ppeat that sounds like rubbish. Feel free to convince me otherwise!

thisisyesterday Mon 10-Oct-11 14:53:54

well generally they are full of creme patissiere, so yes, pretty fattening. plus the pastry!

if it was JUST a pastry case with fruit in then not so much. but wouldn't taste that nice surely:?

ebbandflow Mon 10-Oct-11 14:56:41

I had a strawberry tart from m and s yesterday-300 kcals, it was lovely. I agree with OP anything with fruit in the title is clearly not fattening-fruit crumble, fruit trifle etc. wink

foreverondiet Mon 10-Oct-11 19:48:11

Yes, your sis is right,

because the pastry case is fattening.
because there isn't much fruit in it
because there is no doubt sugar added

jasper Tue 11-Oct-11 00:03:50

you need to work out the calories .
"fresh fruit tart" covers a lot of things

ppeatfruit Tue 11-Oct-11 09:45:43

jade80 Because it is not the traditional way and chefs don't know about the unhealthiness of mixing fruit with carbs and even protein doesn't make it rubbish: the Hay Food Combining eating plan says it and as i said above it makes a lot of sense for health and weight. So many people suffer from heartburn, indigestion. eczema etc. they could feel better if they ate fruit on its own when they're hungry ,try it and see. smile

It is traditional to serve melon as a starter isn't it ? it's due to the semi -digested form of most fruit (not banana).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now