Talk

Advanced search

How to lose weight yourself without 'starving' your kids

(10 Posts)
cazzzz Mon 10-Oct-11 12:13:58

Hi
Can anyone advise me on this ?
I want an easy feed-all, long term healthy, family approach to cooking.
I find creating low fat healthy meals fairly easy ... and have managed to lose weight myself. BUT my kids lost weight at the same time (and they were normal to slim before). The kids' weight loss got to the point where I was concerned enough to visit the GP who basically said ... introduce puddings, add cake to lunch boxes and increase their mealtime carbohydrates. Consequently we have now all put on weight again - they are back to normal and I am about 5kg overweight.
AAAAAGH!!!
What tricks do you all have up your sleeves to run family meals simply so everyone has a calorie intake appropriate to each individual?
Thankyou

Vajazzler Mon 10-Oct-11 12:34:56

In our house I have a bigger portion of veggies than the kids and i have a smaller portion of carbs than they do.
They also have pudding. Yoghurt and a biscuit most nights with pie/crumble/ sponge pudding on a Sunday. I have fruit and a weightwatchers chocolate bar.
Also, they have cereal with milk or toast laden with yummy butter whereas I have fruit.sad
They also have a penguin/ kitkat type thing in their lunchbag along with their sandwich and fruit.

NotJustClassic Mon 10-Oct-11 12:38:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cazzzz Mon 10-Oct-11 12:39:26

Good suggestions - thankyou
Has anyone else done battle with this problem too?

cazzzz Mon 10-Oct-11 12:44:47

I really struggle with having 'bad' food in the house and not eating it ... it sounds so simple but it's really hard. I would really prefer not to bring this stuff into the house in the first place.

Out of interest ... does anyone feed their kids completely the same food as themselves and maintain everyone's weight at the ideal level? How do you achieve this - varying ratios of veggies / carbs for different individuals etc?

ppeatfruit Mon 10-Oct-11 13:58:03

cazzz have a look at the Paul Mckenna thread and forget about 'starving' anyone.

The only sustainable and long term way to diet is to not starve in the first place and this is why P.M. is so incredible in that it educates yr attitude to food and eating. I combine it with eating for health which is against the eat anything rule (but i think he ignores the addictiveness of junk food).Oh and i've lost 2 stone and am maintaining!

Quite a few of our posters do the P.M. with their D.Cs. See you there? smile

Ragwort Mon 10-Oct-11 14:24:08

We all eat the same basic menus but as others have said DH and DS have much larger portions; they can also fill up on bread/butter etc. I tend to buy the sort of 'treats' that I don't really like so that I am not tempted grin.

QueenStromba Mon 10-Oct-11 14:58:11

I don't have kids but I've been dieting without starving my DP by replacing my carbs with veg so if I make a curry he'll have it with rice and I'll have it with grated cauliflower (not as bad as it sounds). You could also put cheese on top of their dinner and none on yours.

nappyaddict Tue 11-Oct-11 09:00:13

I buy DS dark chocolate, jaffa cakes, things with coconut in, muller rice, muller fruit corners, mince pies, fruit cake, fruit loaf, fruit scones, walkers salt & shake and organix crisps because I don't like any of them.

Smash09 Wed 12-Oct-11 14:20:05

Just have a much smaller amount of the carbohydrate element of the meal - that way you don't sacrifice the most nutritious parts for all of you - the protein and fats. If it's an inherently low carb/lowfat meal then give them some bread and butter on the side or add a little more fat to their servings. You can fill up on the nice bulky veggies without feeling too deprived... and without having to resort to supplementing their diets with extra calories from processed junk which would still be quite unhealthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now