Talk

Advanced search

What's the best and healthiest diet to lose weight?

(7 Posts)
octopusinabox Thu 06-Oct-11 19:43:44

I know this is probably going to be a 'how long is a piece of string' question but I'm interested in people's views.

I think I've just quit Slimming World as I'm fed up of craving bread/cereal. I'm happy enough eating healthy low fat meals and this is quite normal and easy for me but I can't get my head around the fact that diets like this demonise apparently healthy and natural foods like nuts and seeds and simple cheap foods like breads are so heavily restricted.

Are the best diets low fat? Or are we better off eating less carbs? Or just cutting down - but then by how much (and if I had that much will power I wouldn't be needing a diet in the first place). Just stopping when I'm full won't work because surely that'll just help me maintain my weight rather than lose it as I'll be eating exactly how much my body needs.

I've read so much stuff on this I'm confused as to what's actually healthy/normal now.

Ragwort Thu 06-Oct-11 19:47:37

I stick to old fashioned calorie counting and low fat (ie: try Rosemary Conley) plus lots of exercise. Have a look at one of her magazines or website or try a class if you like the group support. You can eat sensible portions of bread and cereal on her diet.

foreverondiet Thu 06-Oct-11 20:30:21

The healthiest diet, IMO regardless of whether you need to lose weight is clean eating. By that I mean eating food in its natural form, and restricting sugar, processed food including processed carbs, addictives. Nuts, avocado, seeds very nutritious, yes need some restriction on these if trying to lose weight. Want bread, fine but make it homemade with granary flour (and again limit quantities if trying to lose weight).

In my weight loss phase I ate clean and counted calories. I can maintain by 80% cleaning eating...

I really recommend Jillian Michael's book, Master your Metabolism.

I don't agree that low fat and calorie counting = healthy. White bread has minimal nutrients.

ppeatfruit Sat 08-Oct-11 13:24:00

ragwort if you look at the Blood type diet and the Paul Mckenna you'll find that like forever says its best to eat food in its natural state also that some of us are good with high protein and some sat. fat while others shouldn't touch it.
But the low fat or no fat diets and diet foods are ridiculous 'cos we all need some fats and or oils.

The thing with Paul mc. is when you start to eat SLOWLY and CONSCIOUSLY you literally CAN't overeat. I've lost 2 stone on it so i know it works!! I also eat avocadoes and nuts!! and i'm actually keeping the weight off too Yippee!! see you on our very friendly and supportive thread?

Ragwort Sat 08-Oct-11 17:57:18

I think everyone has to find out whatever 'diet' suits them best - believe me I have tried most things over the last 40 years grin. I absolutely agree that we need some fat which is why, for me, low fat works (not no fat - and I am not neruotic about it, I have peanut butter a few times a week smile) - also I noted that the OP says she really likes carbs so it is just not realistic to suggest she avoids all carbs if that is what she likes best.

We all know that all 'diets' will work - but what matters in the long run is finding a sensible eating plan that suits you as an individual.

I am sure raw seeds, nuts, fruit etc is a really healthy diet, but I know it is just not the sort of thing that would suit me for the rest of my life !

exoticfruits Sat 08-Oct-11 18:06:55

Keep off processed food and watch portion size. I would recommend Rosemary Conley.

ppeatfruit Sat 08-Oct-11 18:19:11

Sorry ragwort I didn't mean you i meant octupusinabox!!

And you are right ragwort that 's why the Blood type works cos it suits all types but along with paul mckenna who says eat what you want but only when you're hungry and stop when you're full. You don't have to watch portion size when you do that it just happens naturally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now