Talk

Advanced search

How to run?

(3 Posts)
Portabledoor Fri 30-Sep-11 19:22:09

This place is probably my biggest motivation! I’ve lost lots of weight and have now put close to a stone back on gerrh! Anyway I’ve started shredding it with weights again and I’ve just ordered some running shoes because although I’ve always hated running recently my husband has been running loads and it has really kept his weight down, I was involved in a fun run and lots of unfit / big people were running 8k and now a friend of mine who is mega unfit wants to go running and wants me to run the race for life with her so I’ve said yes! Am I mad?

I tried running once but was about 13 stone and I hated it, now I’m closer to 10 stone so I think it might be a little easier. I’ve ordered proper running shoes and my DH is putting couch to 5k on my mp3 player but is there anything I should read / know about because I just start running? I’m going to be running on a dirt path that runs along the beach. Anyway shall I just go for it?

SofaKingOld Fri 30-Sep-11 19:40:56

Go for it portabledoor!

I was in your position 4 weeks ago but have now finished week 4 of C25K- and I'm feeling so much better. I had to go the cobbler today to get more holes in my belt to make it smaller!

I'm not a natural athlete but I'm getting a really big sense of achievement from running. I also hated running but I think a lot of it had to do with my mental attitude to it. I'd also expect to just be able to run half an hour straight off!! C25K has been great to get me to build up slowly - I had no idea this was what you were supposed to do. I wish they would teach this in school instead of just making you run various distances.

I started losing weight at 12st 8lb eight weeks ago then started running when I weighed about 11st 4lb and I'm sure you'll have no problem at your current weight. It's the breathing I needed to master.

You've already bought the shoes which would suggest you want to do this. I'd suggest a running partner to keep you motivated and on track.

Good luck and go for it!

Portabledoor Fri 30-Sep-11 20:00:43

I love this board you'll always find someone who will be supportive.

my friend wanted a running partner but I think that I would be better off running on my own listening to music I like because I think we will just end up having a chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now