Talk

Advanced search

have your GP ever given you successful advice/signposting that has helped you lose weight?

(9 Posts)
mambo14 Fri 30-Sep-11 10:42:34

Have tried WW and SW and just never lose anything....just don't work for me, no idea why. I wanted to try Lighter Life but just can't afford it.

My weight really gets me down. I was thinking of going to GP and asking for help. Has anyone done this and had successful advice/diet/signposting? What, realisitically, can a GP do? Is there any point in asking?

octopusinabox Fri 30-Sep-11 12:58:29

Yes, mine recommended the book 'The Beck Diet Solution' and I've found it quite helpful. It's not a diet so you'd need to follow some sort of diet with it (i do SW). It tries to help you get past the obstacles that stop you losing weight and keep you motivated.

myhandslooksoold Fri 30-Sep-11 13:00:43

No but i'm just reading a book called Understanding Your Eating- really excellent

Not unless you count "eat less and exercise more" as successful advice whilst I sat there sobbing. I didn't.

Italiangreyhound Sat 01-Oct-11 01:49:08

mambo14 excuse the long post but I have been thinking a lot about this since reading your post a few minutes ago.

I think the GP surgery or practice nurse should be able help and is the best person to go to to start the process. At the very least the nurse practitioner should agree to weigh you on a regular basis for free and provide you with a guide to healthy eating. She or he should also be able to give you some sort of work sheet to work through your emotions when you over eat, feel hungry. To work out why you eat too much, are you genuinely hungry or are you actually bored/sad/lonely/tired/thirsty etc. I feel fairly sure that any good GP should do all this for free, which is more than a slimming club will do! If your GP does not do it you might ask them why not!

Really, the benefit for them is that a small investment in your weight management now could mean better health and less treatment for you when you are older - so better for the NHS! But of course we all know that and I find it so hard to understand why the NHS doesn’t always act on it!

I guess it depends where you are geographically. In Oxfordshire and Reading there is a service called OWLS, Oxfordshire Weight-loss Lifestyle Service. I have no idea if this is a lot of use but I do know two people who went on it and it has good benefits (as far as I understand it) in that it is free and it attempts to tackle the issues behind over eating and why we do it. I have no idea where you live but your local PCT might be able to offer something similar.

www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/wards__departments/d/diabetes_and_endocrinology/owls.aspx?theme=Patient

If they have no idea you could direct them to the website and ask why they are not putting a small investment into this, which could reap benefits for the patient and for the NHS! I mean ask it in a nice way, like you are trying to help them help you!

I was given vouchers for Weight Watchers for free from my GP surgery and did lose a stone with them. Sadly, I don't think it ever really tacked why I over eat (I am an impulsive eater) and so when I stopped going to the group I put the weight back on.

The GP might be able to offer free counselling and if you get a good counsellor you may find you can get some real help. If your weight is causing you any depression or other problems then this really would be a priority for you and the GP surgery but there might be a wait. If you have your own funds you might be able to get help privately and the GP might recommend someone, or you may find a counsellor in training at a free or reduced rate (who would be supervised - one would hope!). If you have private health care of any kind you might be able to explore if this is covered too.

To get stuff free from the GP you probably need to be over a certain amount over weight. At the time I got vouchers I had a BMI of about 33-34 but different places may make different stipulations.

There is a quite good book I can recommend called Eating Less by Gillian Riley.

http://www.eatingless.com/

There was a thread on mumsnet about it, but it kind of died out about a month or two ago. I am trying to resurrect it!

Join me if you would like to, please

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1216651-Anyone-want-to-join-a-thread-about-Eating-Less

I don’t know how overweight you are or what your problem is but I did a Christian course called New ID (New Identity) which was pretty helpful and is available in London, Cheltenham, Birmingham and about half a dozen other places. I believe it is also free, it does deal with under eating (like anorexia) and also Bulimia and compulsive eating.

www.newid.info/

I’ve just started a thread about it on mumsnet if you want to look in on it sometime but no idea how many others will join me on it as no idea how many have done it.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1311838-I-found-New-ID-helpful-has-anyone-else-done-it

I have also heard of overeaters anonymous. I think it depends what your problem with food is. I have discovered after years of diets that diets are not for me and I need to address what goes on for me when I get around food. It is a long process but at times there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not reflecting off an iced-bun.

All the best. thanks

mambo14 Sun 09-Oct-11 22:58:15

wow, thanks so much for all the info ItalianGreyhound - much appreciated!

I don't think I have any deep rooted food 'issues', I think I just like carbs too much! I basically have a very fixed, unvaried diet that isn't particularly fatty but is carby (bread,potatoes,rice,pasta). I eat the same things every day, all year. If I go on a diet like WW or SW, I manage to figure out my points/sins so that I just carry on with the diet I usually eat. I have been exactly the same weight for 7years (so don't put on, don't lose)

My other problem is that I do a huge amount of exercise, marathon running, long distance cycling, long distance swimming and train 5/6 times a week...I need to eat the carbs to maintain the energy for training, that's where I'm struggling.

I have gone down a dress size this year and people have said that i'm looking better but my BMI is 31 and my doc and hosp have told me I'm 4 stone + overweight!

I'm going to go to my GP and just explain my problem and see what he suggests...suppose it can't do any harm!

Italiangreyhound Sun 09-Oct-11 23:24:38

It certainly can't do any harm. I'm NOT a dietician AT ALL so I don't know but I am guessing there are good and bad and better and best carbs, so there may be ways of getting your energy in a way that is better to use. I wonder have you looked into GI and low GI?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-glycemic_index_diet

and this

www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

I know you did not mention diabetes but I think this website explains it a bit, and I have not read it all

www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/The-Glycaemic-Index/?gclid=CPjLsYbP3KsCFUMOfAodnm8wQQ

Good luck.

moondog Sun 09-Oct-11 23:26:37

There was some research recently that indicated support offered by commercial slimming clubs far better than anything offered by a GP, who, let's face it, hasn't the time or resources to be your diting mentor.e

BakeliteBelle Mon 10-Oct-11 14:48:28

that's why some GP's refer to Weightwatchers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now