Talk

Advanced search

Dieting-feel really crap, what am I doing wrong?

(10 Posts)
Witherhills Wed 28-Sep-11 23:05:43

I'm so sick of this
Been dieting for about 6 weeks, really determined to finally lose the weight.
So I have played tennis 3 times a week, cut out bread, cut down on pasta. Obviously no snacks, lots of fruit and veg, and eating mainly chicken and prawns. No alcohol. Probably about 1500 cals a day
Trying to drink as much water as I can, especially on the days I play tennis
But I feel dreadful. I permanently seem to have a headache, or get a bit shaky
Have no energy, feel like I want to cry all the time
Everything aches
I have lost about 10lbs
But have at least 3 stone to go

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 28-Sep-11 23:10:19

10lbs in 6 weeks is not bad. And don't forget weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off.
If you're feeling headachey and shakey, I'd suspect you aren't getting enough protein. I have to have a decent portion at every meal to avoid feeling like this. It also keeps you fuller for longer, so you're less likely to succumb to unhealthy snacks.
There's loads of threads on here you can join in on for tips and motivation- I'm on a SW one and a 'lose a stone' one. Will try and link.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 28-Sep-11 23:13:05

Here and here.
No need to read all the way through - just jump in if you feel like it smile.

Witherhills Wed 28-Sep-11 23:17:17

Thank you. The weight loss is ok, I did go on holiday too, so that's including the couple of pounds I put on!
I just hate feeling this bad.
Everyone says they feel so much better, more energy etc after they have lost a few pounds, I'm just hoping that will kick in soon!
Will look at some of those threads, thanks

PTWill Thu 29-Sep-11 14:38:02

Hi Witherhills,
It sounds to me that the headaches and wobbly feelings your getting is from going a bit too mad at once and your body struggling to get the energy it had been used to getting from carbs most of your life. Also maybe cutting out caffeine/sugar from soft drinks?This can also be a sign of de-toxing. Your body now has the oppurtunity to deal with toxins stored in your body fat and the gut as your eating less than before, and these toxins are now making their way out of your body. Cutting out all alcohol can be stressful too and cause. The odd glass of red wine (when you've been good!), won't hurt much.
Do allow yourself small amounts of carbs within half an hour of training. The protein idea that the other person suggested id good too.Only eat whole meal pasta, pitta bread or brown rice, (no white carbs). Also try doing some weight training as well or replacing one of the tennis sessions, thios will keep your muscles firm and maintain a high metabolism.
Finally, give yourself one day off per week. This is for a couple of reasons, firstly, a constant, very low carb diet will gradually 'burn you out' and your meatabolism will drop through the floor and you'll stop losing weight. Secondly, most people can handle being good for 6 days if they know that there's a reward day on the way. People that try to attempt massive lifestyle changes without breaks or reward tend to last about 4-6 weeks then just crash and binge putting it all back on.
Check out my website (www.trojanfitnessuk.com) and drop me an email if you'd like me to give you more specifics. Remember, what you need is something you can sustain for the rest of your life, other wise you'll just yo-yo. Keep drinking 2-3 litres of water a day! Ta, Will

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 29-Sep-11 14:45:47

< whispers >

Drinking 2-3 litres of water a day is a myth. Amusing argument against here. If you google further you'll find loads more scientifically proven evidence.

I was going to say you might be feeling achey as a result of doing the same thing repeatedly - might be worth adding in gym sessions to vary your workout, or even finding some fitness DVDs. As long as it gets you moving and doesn't strain anything!

Witherhills Thu 29-Sep-11 16:21:58

Will, love the website, have always wanted to do a bootcamp!
your advice all sounds very feasible. I don't drink much tea/coffee, but diet coke was always an issue. I do limit myself now, and reach for the water instead
I do have a question. I always feel a bit stupid doing weight training, when there is obviously so much fat. I always feel like I should get rid of the fat first and then turn my attention to toning up. No?

WWWY- the aches aren't really muscle aches, it feels a bit more like joint pain. It could just be coincidence and I am getting old.

I cannot stand going to the gym, it actually makes me want to cry.
But I love tennis, and its really tough, drills and training, so not just an easy game.

Witherhills Thu 29-Sep-11 16:22:39

I could do some dance dvds, that would be hilarious!

garlicslutty Sun 02-Oct-11 03:26:37

Wii dance smile Or the other ones; I've lost track, but think the xbox ones were supposed to be v good?

garlicslutty Sun 02-Oct-11 03:29:18

ps - muchmuch better to exercise more and eat enough than to diet. Best news is carbs & fats improve performance, help build muscle tone and feed your skin smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now