Talk

Advanced search

Mental weight loss as well as physical.

(3 Posts)
TurkeyBurgerThing Thu 22-Sep-11 21:28:39

This has been bothering me for a while and it but it's something which is really starting to frustrate me and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing!

I have now lost a total of 3 1/2 stone. I've succesfully lost in the past after my previous 2 pregnancies through watching what I eat and exercise. It just so happens that this time I've lost that bit more that has taken me to the lightest I have been for at least 10 years. I'm a nice size 14 which is what in my head I'd been aiming for.

However I look in the mirror and I see NO difference to how I was a year ago! In the past when I'd lost weight I was feeling wonderful about it. But this time I feel nothing what so ever. Not a thing! I don't feel pleased with myself, I don't feel like I've achieved anything amazing. People complement me often which is great but I just still see fault with my body and am not satisfied with my weight loss. Where as a year ago had someone said to me you'll wake up tomorrow at the weight I am now I'd have thought it was the greatest thing ever!

So what's wrong with me? Why do I feel like this? I know I keep moving my goal posts too. Now I feel I won't be happy until I'm a size 12 but being a size 12 is almost completely alien to me! Size 12??! Wtf.

Could I be feeling this way because I've not reached where I am with exercise? Previously it's been key to it all and it's the only thing I can think of that is different. It's really pissing me off because I know I've done well so why do I still look in the mirror and see a big fat piggy-wig staring back at me??? Aaaaargh.

foreverondiet Fri 23-Sep-11 13:29:16

I really see where you are coming from! Could have written post myself. Kept on moving goal post.....

Anyway eventually got to be a size 8, 8 stone 7lbs, was previously a size 12 which is where I was aiming for initially (around 9 12). And I am now very happy with my weight and how I look (finally!).

A few things - yes I am super fit now - did a duathlon 2 weeks ago and have sprint triathlon on sunday. And also I have a nicely toned body.

A few things that helped - 1) I promised myself a present when I reached my target and I went out and bought it. Also bought some new clothes. 2) I got to the point where my BMI was 20 and my body fat 18% so actually I couldn't reduce my target further. At the same time was told that I shouldn't lose more weight. 3) Finally my thighs don't chaff (have done ever since puberty!)

So now i don't see a fat piggy-wig as I really am not carrying any excess fat, ie my stomach has definition!!!!

I'd say if you are still motivated go for it and lose a bit more and also do some exercise.

Spamspamspam Sat 24-Sep-11 10:36:51

Hi I totally get where you are. I have not got to goal yet but I have lost 2 stone which 9 months ago I was desperate for and yet I see no difference, none whatsoever. I can see that I am buying size 14 clothes and I can see that my previous clothes are too big but when I am naked in the mirror all I see is the same person I saw 9 months ago....really weird. I am going to keep going as I definately still do not look as good as I thought I would with two stone lost. I think for me though the reason I can't see it is because I have done it so slowly, I could easily have lost two stone in 4/5 months but I haven't been as rigid as I should have so maybe that's the reason?

Also I haven't been this weight since I had my daughter 8 years ago and I had in my minds eye that my shape would go back to what it was before I had her and of course it hasn't, I have a much wobblier tummy and a gorgeous cesearean hangover sad and I am much older so have bingo wings, wobblier bottom etc. I have been exercising but only walking fast with the dog for the last three weeks or so - I think I need to up the exercise!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now