Talk

Advanced search

I'm a new Mum and I can't stop binge eating

(8 Posts)
NewMummyLaura Thu 22-Sep-11 19:35:40

Hi, I'm a new Mum to a 4 month old LO and my OH works a lot and odd hours. I really need to lose weight as I've put on half a stone since having my LO. I find myself having the urge to eat and will do everything to get what I want even if it means getting us into the car and going to the supermarket to get it! It's driving me mad, I literally feel I have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. We are joining the gym next week but I am going to struggle to join classes as I won't have childcare when my OH is at work and he works different shifts every week! Can anyone suggest anything please? I'm also trying to quit smoking too which usually results in me gaining weight.
And please don't say 'stop eating' as that's not very helpful.
Thanks x

megapixie Thu 22-Sep-11 19:57:34

I know exactly how you feel regarding the food issue. I have often been super lazy and sent my dp to shop to get me junk food etc.

All I can advise you to do is try and get excited about healthy food again. Look up a few recipes online and shop for those ingredients. I find it much easier to stick to healthy meals and then allow myself a treat for dessert.

NewMummyLaura Thu 22-Sep-11 20:47:35

My OH won't go for me which is good but I tend to over eat when he's not here, and when he is! So he doesn't see half of what I eat. I'm terrible.
I'm trying to make our meals more varied but I often use fresh ingredients, again we just eat massive portions!

Moulesfrites Thu 22-Sep-11 20:49:50

Are you breastfeeding? It males me ravenous and has been my excuse as to why I was putting on weight rather than losing it after having my ds!

I joined slimming world last week - first weigh in today and have lost 6lb!! Could you try that or something similar?

NewMummyLaura Thu 22-Sep-11 20:53:39

No I'm not BF, LO wouldn't latch on after 3 frustrating days! I used to go to slimming world and would love to go again but lack of childcare/OH works different hours every week so wouldn't be able to go every week so would be a bit pointless as I really struggle with lack of willpower! hank you though, and well done on your brilliant loss.

Rooble Tue 27-Sep-11 20:37:12

I was very similar, eating mountains of crap, especially when DH away (most of the time). Does the gym you've joined have a crèche? That would enable you to go to whichever classes you want to without your DH needing to be available.
I also don't have the childcare to go to SW/WW, and have been using www.guardianeatright.co.uk - more as a guideline (it was a bit of a shocker to realise how huge my portions of rice/pasta tended to be - they tend to use about 60g of carb for a meal which is in fact PLENTY to fill you up) to keep me focused and have lost 1-2lbs each week since 22/6 this year. Kind of slow progress but I reckon that's the best way to keep it off in the longer term.
For the first week or so I had to really concentrate on not eating when I was alone. Had to invent jobs to be doing all evening and have lots of long baths etc. But I logged every single thing I ate and when I'd had enough for the day but was fancying (or considering mindlessly consuming) I sort of had a mantra: do I choose a slice of cake or do I choose to be thinner?
Because the diet is GI you eat filling, nourishing food, so don't feel all hungry and unsatisfied.
Good luck with it. I think perhaps the biggest hurdle is your mindset and you're keen to do something, so I hope it goes well!

Italiangreyhound Sat 01-Oct-11 01:28:45

NewMummyLaura be kind on yourself, it is early days. Are you using food as a substitute for something else or are you genuinely hungry? Are you maybe craving adult company, with OH at work and you at home with baby? Is that one reason to drive to the shop?

Could you stock up on some healthy snacks and also cultivate some new friends who you can chat to by phone, on line, in the evenings or anything else you can do so that you are not thinking about food too much.

Half a stone is very little to have gained so please do not beat yourself up about it or feel bad.

There is a quite good book I can recommend called Eating Less by Gillian Riley.

http://www.eatingless.com/

There was a thread on here about it, but it kind of died out about a month or two ago. I am trying to resurrect it!

Join me if you would like to, please

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1216651-Anyone-want-to-join-a-thread-about-Eating-Less

Hope you find all the things you need and enjoy your new baby.

piprabbit Sat 01-Oct-11 01:31:58

Can you find a daytime slimming class?

I took my baby in his pram to weight watchers on a weekday morning.

Try calling slimming world or weight watchers to see what they can offer you class wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now