Talk

Advanced search

Virgin Active gyms?

(17 Posts)

Is anyone a member and can you tell me how much you pay? There's no sign of a price anywhere on the website, which makes me think it's probably unaffordable smile

belledechocchipcookie Fri 16-Sep-11 18:52:27

I paid £50 a month but that was student membership for ds and I.

Cheeseandbiscuits Sat 17-Sep-11 04:31:36

I pay £70, that's in London though,

afishcalledmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 07:10:36

Our local one is £80 (London). With one healthcare provider you can get half price membership so if you have private healthcare check with your provider. Or maybe look at taking a policy with said provide - can't remember who and on iPhone so googling is hit and miss - as the cost of healthcare + gym membership would be the same as standalone membership!

foreverondiet Sat 17-Sep-11 21:30:14

The price varies by gym type of membership, how long you commit for etc. You'd have to call the gym you are looking at to discuss.

I pay £64 a month for access to my gym (Cricklewood) and all other gyms of that level and below (so I can't use some of the posher ones) and the idiots have given me a "price for life" ie they commit to never put it up. As I intend to be a member there until I die (or at least until I can't swim/exercise any more) hopefully not for many years (I am 36) I think that's a good deal!

SazZaVoom Sat 17-Sep-11 21:32:26

I pay £37 a month. It pays to live near a 'less desirable' area grin

Where are you?

SazZaVoom Sat 17-Sep-11 21:33:11

MIne is a 'price for life too' [bonus]

melliebobs Sat 17-Sep-11 21:35:31

Private gyms don't put prices up as it's all about sales. They want you to ring up so they have your details and can keep mailing you stuff. When I was there it was £35 a month but that was a corporate membership as I work for the NhS

Wiifitmama Sat 17-Sep-11 21:36:25

I am also at Cricklewood and pay £76 a month. How come yours is cheaper Foreveronadiet???

SazZaVoom Sat 17-Sep-11 21:45:46

Foreveronadiet would be welcome at mine grin

foreverondiet Sat 17-Sep-11 23:28:18

Because about 4 years ago (when Holmes Place were bought by Virgin Active) I signed up to a price for life, it and they promised never to put the price up for me!!!! smile seems to good to be true, and I think they'll find a way to get out of it.

Think they are pretty stupid to give this sort of offer to anyone other than pensioners, although I guess its a loyalty / retention thing. I have been a member since Cricklewood opened circa 2000, and before that since Hendon opened in 1998 although both Hendon and Cricklewood were previously Holmes Place gyms.

They don't put prices on their websites as everyone pays different amounts.

Wiifitmama Sun 18-Sep-11 11:21:25

We have probably seen each other without realising it!

Flowerista Sun 18-Sep-11 11:30:27

I'm a VM member and they charge varying rates. You can pay less if you're "off peak" so use it between 9.30 and 4.30 and after 2 at weekends. Kids have to members too.

foreverondiet Sun 18-Sep-11 13:22:38

I am there on a wed and fri morning (9-10.30am) and sun morning, happy to work out together if you are there then!

Wiifitmama Sun 18-Sep-11 13:24:08

I am not there at of those times sorry! I don't use the gym at all. I am a swimmer (and outdoor runner) and my kids use the pool for lessons too.

Rooble Tue 20-Sep-11 20:03:33

Foreveronadiet - I have the same deal (£50/month in Sheffield) - but because new gyms are forever opening I reckon they're working on the assumption people will leave them return (to a higher price). Or will have joined to get fit and will then end their membership when unused - then need to join again.
Does seem a mad idea though!

foreverondiet Tue 20-Sep-11 23:05:17

Perhaps but I am sure I'll still be a member for many many years (unless I move out of the area) and I think there will be some inflation over the next few years, so looking forward to many years of much reduced gym membership!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now