Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

first slimming world meeting...how utterly tedious

(9 Posts)
Moulesfrites Thu 15-Sep-11 20:33:56

I really do need to address my weight following the birth of ds 8 m ago, especially as I am going back to work at Christmas and none of my work clothes will fit and I can't afford any new ones! My mum and my aunt and a few other people I know have done well on SW so I went along.

In terms of the food etc the extra easy plan looks good and I am happy to give it a good go, but the IMAGE therapy part was sooooo dull. I was there from 11 at the advertised start time and didn't get away until after half 12. DS was good but was getting irritable towards the end, understandably, and I kept getting hmm faces from some of the women in the class.

The instructor was really fat (apparently she has put back on 3 of the 5 stone she originally lost when she stopped going to the group) and the chat was just so tedious - one woman was going on about building work outside her house. I have always found diet chat pretty dull but I really don't think I could bear this every week, yet I think I need the humiliation factor to motivate me. The instructor was really snotty about people who just "weigh and go" as she thinks the "image therapy" is the most important thing. It all felt a bit like a cult. I am really up for the plan but just don't want to have to sit through this every week and I don't really think it is fair on my ds who is only going to get more active and difficult to entertain. Does it have to be like this? Sorry if I sound moany - I am really up for the food aspect, as I said, and I know that it gets good results.

quornsausages Thu 15-Sep-11 23:31:48

Are there any other SW groups nearby? I've found some classes and instructors are better than others.

In my experience, I've found that they all seem to last at least an hour - perhaps look for one which has less people attending, that way you'll get out of there quicker.

I haven't been to one for over a year, but I do find that if I make the effort to stay, I lose weight faster. If I start weighing and leaving then it's a slippery slope from there on.

Moulesfrites Fri 16-Sep-11 09:11:39

My mum has told me to get there just before the end of the weighing time, not to buy a raffle ticket then leave as soon as is polite. The woman said this was her smallest group. Thanks for the advice.

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Fri 16-Sep-11 09:21:28

Groups differ widely. We move house every 2 years or so with DH job and I have been to loads of different SW groups. Where we used to live I used to drive 5 miles to a "good" group rather than go to the one that was five minutes walk from my house as I just did not "gel" with that particular consultant. You may need to try a few to find one that suits you. Dont worry about the others looking at you if baby is making a noise. As a mum of older kids I still expect there to be post pregnancy mums in class and even more so in day time classes. Just ignore them. If he really starts testing his lungs just pop outside with him for a few moments to settle him, its not problem.

The classes can drag on and yep - weigh in at the end of weigh in time. You will always find there are people in your class that bore you to tears as they waffle on. However, as you get to grips with the polan and can share info, tips and recipies yourself, you wont find it quite as dull.

Keep with it. It is worth it. I do gain my weight once I stop going but when I attend I do well. Am currently holding off over 5 stone!!

Oh, please find a group that suits you - I've lost 4 stone myself with SW & do have to say that I find staying to group invaluable.

I'm at target a year now and have to credit the group for the support.

Keep an open mind when you go back xx

fishandlilacs Sat 17-Sep-11 17:01:47

I loved my group-everyomne was very kind a friendly and it was actually a nice social fun event with lots of laughter. My consultant was a dipsy one but utterly lovely.

I would shop around for different groups.

KAZAMM Sat 17-Sep-11 21:17:58

i just joined on Thurs and found the image therapy bit dragged on a bit too but like you I'm really up for the extra easy plan. Luckily it only went on for about an hour and I'll go in just before weigh in ends.

piellabakewell Sun 18-Sep-11 11:42:03

Get yourself some scales for home and join the online plan? Then you don't have to go to meetings and DS can wriggle and scream to his heart's content smile

dearprudence Sun 18-Sep-11 22:24:48

I used to find this tedious at SW too. Yes, you should arrive towards the end of weigh-in, but tell them you have to leave early because of your baby, so they'll put your card near the top. Then, once you've been 'done' you can sit there until you can't stand any more have finished your coffee then sneak out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now