Talk

Advanced search

Would you pay £350 for a course of weight-loss hypnotherapy?

(14 Posts)
PrettyCandles Thu 08-Sep-11 12:18:46

4 x one-hour sessions over the course of a month.

I've got about 5stone to lose.

ZZMum Thu 08-Sep-11 12:23:20

No and I say that as a trained hypnotherapist!

Would suggest you try some hypno CD first with workbooks - suggest Adore yourself Slim as the best one imho but there are a loads of others.. I think the prices charged are outrageous given it is not an guaranteed result - it still does require effort and will power from yourself - most of the messaging that they claim is tailoered to you is pretty standard and unless you have a very specific issue related to your eating most of the off the shelf stuff would help you as much - for a tenner!

Would also recommend the Beck CBT book that I am doing now - it provided a lot of exercises to understand and address your eating issues - I think this with a good diet buddy works better than any results I have seen from hypno..

wartsanall Thu 08-Sep-11 12:26:30

Erm I don't know. I did to stop smoking and it has worked now for 6 years. I saw it as reinforced willpower; I still had the cravings but the hypnotherapy gave me that little bit more determination not to. 6 years on I never crave a smoke.
At that much money its a big decision, are you that determined to lose the weight? if so it may help.

pipkin35 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:27:07

IF you have that sort of money to spend on your weight loss - then I might be be more inclined to use that to use one of those food delivery services....could be a good 'kick start'? Nutrichef, bodychef, gourmet diet food delivery etc...
£350 would be at least a month and you'd probably see as much as 1.5 stone at least coming off...

Or try the Paul McKenna bok/tape etc...to see if the Hypno approach works for you - don't know if you've tried it before or not.

Do you belong to WW or SW or anything like that?

PattySimcox Thu 08-Sep-11 13:17:32

A friend of mine has - in fact she spent much much more than that.

She said it helped her understand her poor relationship with food, and improved her low self esteem, and when she listened to the cd that she was given then it helped re-inforce positive messages, but when she forgot it was easy to slip into over eating.

PrettyCandles Thu 08-Sep-11 16:56:28

Thanks for your replies.

I have a pretty good understanding of my attitudes to food, and have done CBT and mindfulness meditation for depression. CBT and MM are amazing.

I've also tried Paul McKenna, but have a real problem with the bit when he asks you to look at yourself through somebody else's eyes and see the nice things they see in you. I come crashing out of trance at that point, even if I wasn't actively listening.

Which is why I thought hypnosis tailored to me might be a good thing.

And there's also the fact that when you pay a lot for a course you're likely to put more effort into following it!

I don't like the idea of buying diet meals. I enjoy cooking from scratch. Besides, it's my head that needs changing, more than my calorific input. And I've also never joined WW or SW for that reason. I don't feel the need for a diet buddy, and I want to change my relationship with food, rather than restrict my intake, and to increase my exercise.

ZZMum could you link the book, or give the full title, please?

ZZMum Thu 08-Sep-11 19:22:04

this is the book - adore yourself slim

I like this out of all books I read as the hypnosis is tailored for various parts of the weight loss journey

foreverondiet Thu 08-Sep-11 20:56:02

I agree that adore yourself slim very good.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much for personalised hypnotheraphy, because you are unlikely to lose more than 1 stone in first month, and what then, how will you keep motivation going after the first month.

In terms of Paul Mckenna, could you try visualising the nice things each day whilst awake so less likely to come out of trance.

PrettyCandles Thu 08-Sep-11 22:41:20

I meant the details of "the Beck CBT book" grin

The Paul McKenna problem is thinking up nice things about myself. Can't do it in or out of trance.

foreverondiet Thu 08-Sep-11 22:49:51

You can't think of anything nice??? Please try and work on this! Important part of adore yourself slim as well (although different to P M)

i always imagine my DD, as she loves me as I'm her mummy. Your DC will love you regardless of your weight, and regardless of their age, could just as easily use DS2 (17 months).

ZZMum Thu 08-Sep-11 22:49:56

beck workbook

ChuffMuffin Thu 08-Sep-11 22:57:23

Think how far £350 would go for weight loss groups, exercise, etc. Much more worth it.

<looks sadly down at lardy lower half>

MmeLindor. Thu 08-Sep-11 23:02:05

I have just started this ThinkingSlimmer. I do think that it is helping.

I have been inspired by this blogger who has already lost 3st.

Tortington Thu 08-Sep-11 23:03:00

there isn;t a miricle cure

eat differently and exersise - is how it works - we all know this, its will power you need and i dont think this is going to do it

you realy need to research a way of eating that fits in with your lifestyle and compliment this with some exersize although i lost 4st and i did shit all exersise tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now