Talk

Advanced search

I don't suppose anyone's doing the Beck diet? It's CBT for dieters

(15 Posts)
CamillaSalander Fri 02-Sep-11 18:55:13

Anyway, my GP's put me onto it. I mean, told me about it, not made me do it. grin
Here's the link: Beck Diet

If you're doing it, or want to do it, sign up here and we can compare notes.

<<Bit of a longshot, though>>

I have the book sitting on my book shelf. It's not making me lose weight yet, but I guess maybe I need to read it first grin

Have you started?

CamillaSalander Fri 02-Sep-11 20:48:16

Yes, I'm on Day 6. Which is entitled Meet with your diet coach - involving someone who's going to be really quite hands-on.

I'm actually doing it in addition to Rosemary Conley classes - having discussed combining the two with my GP, which she thought was a good idea; so I have the RC leader (great woman) as a kind of diet coach, but not that hands-on.

I have to say that, like all CBT stuff, the Beck diet is rigorous. And you have to commit.

You certainly have to spend time reading all the stuff before you even start planning to begin. grin

well done for getting to day 6. I have serious committment issues when it comes to weight loss!

I will give the book a read during the week and maybe join you on the bandwagon smile

CamillaSalander Sun 04-Sep-11 18:50:06

Yes, do; it certainly works, it's just that you have to do it. Sigh. But I can feel the weight coming off. smile

ZZMum Mon 05-Sep-11 09:11:20

hey - I have this book and am starting it today - I feel I need something else other than a diet plan to follow - having tried all year to diet and am still exactly same weight as at start of the year..

I am just on day 1 but hopefully we can share notes! I am doing this with MFP and doing C25K with a view to losing 2 stone over next 6 months...

CamillaSalander Mon 05-Sep-11 10:40:47

Oh fantastic! I know MFP is My Fitness Pal, but what's C25K?

2 stone over 6 months sounds excellent.

ZZMum Mon 05-Sep-11 12:14:44

hi - the C25K is a way to getting couch bound (me!) running 5K (unbelievable) in 9 weeks! HAve done it several times but never quite made the 5K but do love it when I get running for several minutes at a time ..

So started today ... I have read my list of reasons 4 times already ... I see you are doing RC which I think is a low fat plan? How much are you hoping to lose?

I need to find a buddy next - preferably one that will not roll their eyes when I mention my diet plans!

CamillaSalander Mon 05-Sep-11 13:03:41

C25K sounds fantastic. RC is low fat, but I mostly value it for the weekly weigh in, the group support and the jolly exercise.

I'm a bit woolly about how much I need to lose (quite a bit). I intend to build muscle by using free weights and the Powerplate at my gym, so not sure how the weight issue will pan out. Two stone, like you, would be good, though, especially over a longish period.

ZZMum Mon 05-Sep-11 18:06:04

hey - so which day are you on now and how is it going - I have done day 1 - have read ahead a little so I get a sense of what is about to happen - all seems so right for me - I always under estimate the amount of planning that is needed in a diet.. right foods in etc.. and I like the idea of planning the changes rather than just being amazed when they do not happen!

Tomorrow is commit to plan day - got that one covered but need to think of back up - thinking of Paul McK as I like the idea of control around food that he advocates and I guess that is what I need long term..

Hope your day went well!

CamillaSalander Mon 05-Sep-11 22:34:54

Mmmmm, I did Day 8 today. It's still fine, it's a fair amount of work, but manageable. I am a list-keeper anyway, so ticking off things I've achieved is right up my street.

I wonder if Paul McK is too similar yet not the same as the Beck system to be a good back-up plan??? I only have the 'I can make you sleep' Paul McK book, but it is a list of tasks you have to commit to, and I don't think I could do all that, and the Beck tasks, during the same time period. Maybe you can, though!

My first-line diet is the RC one, back-up I put down as low GI. However, as I was planning to tell you this, I realised that they actually conflict - RC is low-fat, low GI is low-carb. Oh well. Hopefully the RC one will cut it. grin

On the Paul McK angle, I am doing a very small scale 'sleep better' programme which does add to my list of things I have to do, but fits in OK with Beck and doesn't over-commit me. The most difficult thing is: I really shouldn't drink caffeinated drinks after 12 noon. This is vvvvvv difficult for me!

ZZMum Tue 06-Sep-11 10:06:31

Hi! I do not see an issue with the conflict in your diet plans - in fact it makes sense to have a back up that is totally different as you will only swap to it if your first one does not suit you.

How funny you are doing the sleep McK as I am as well - hence thinking of his plan as a back up - I want to change my habits long term and whilst I would like the discipline of a "diet plan" for a few weeks to make me more aware of my eating and its link to my weight, I do not want to be following a plan for longer than I have to as i want to be able to fit in with family life and not set my kids any bad examples of faddy eating.

But I do find the no caffeine hard to follow when I am trying to cut down on food as a good cup of black coffee does help kill my need for sweet stuff and does kill my appetite - and am sure being awake until 4am burns calories! But today am going to the dark side and attempting some decaff coffee - never seen point of it before - like alcohol free wine to me smile

I am keen to get going on this so today I am going to read to the end of the week and see if I can fast track any of it - today is just choosing the plan - well done that! Need something else to do or I will fill the day with cheese!

Time for coffee - still early enough!

CamillaSalander Wed 07-Sep-11 08:43:10

Yes, isn't it strange that we both have sleep problems as well, and are using Paul McK?

How's it going today? I'm finding eating sloooowly and mindfully pretty boring - my normal mode is to stuff my face while reading a newspaper - one of my favourite leisure pursuits, which I've now had to abandon, sob. Still, it will all be worth it, and I do know, of course, that gobbling while reading is a shite way to proceed. grin Eating slowly and feeling bored are a good way to make sure I don't just keep shovelling it in.

ZZMum Wed 07-Sep-11 10:33:19

yes I have just eaten a bowl of low fat yoghurt and blueberries very mindfully so I could taste exactly how ... tasteless and watery the whole thing was.. Made me very aware of just how empty my stomach is.. I did sit down as per Day 3 - but watched TV rather than shovel it in front of computer.. I will try better at lunch time to eat with no distractions and then that is day 3 done.. and still the same weight!!

I guess I do see the logic about focusing on your food - I was definitely guilty of mindless grazing so I never really felt I had ever had a meal... but it is a hard habit to break.. so what is your rule for today?

CamillaSalander Wed 07-Sep-11 13:31:42

I think we have to give ourselves credit for being bored to death while eating - I mean, for being mindful while eating. Have to say, only eating while sitting is stopping me grazing while cooking.

My rule for today is a nice one - plan to celebrate when the next 5lb have come off. My plan is to go for a lovely lovely hack - I am a horse rider, but haven't got my own, so have to pay a small fortune to ride.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now