Talk

Advanced search

Running - legs feel like tree trunks!

(5 Posts)
trinni Wed 31-Aug-11 20:43:29

I've been exercising regularly 2/3, sometimes 4 times per week, for 6 weeks.

It began as power-walking and has progressed to some running (with walking) and I'd say I'm doing about 2 miles per session - so not massive distance but I'm covering the distance in half the time I was in the beginning.

I sweat like buggery but I haven't lost an ounce and TBH my legs feel like they're bigger than before - how?

Perhaps this is an early phase and will gradually result in weight loss. I don't have masses to lose; a stone would bring me back to my ideal weight.

Someone come and reassure me please.

foreverondiet Wed 31-Aug-11 21:30:44

Are you dieting? My legs are smaller (lost 5 inches off each thigh, 4 stone in weight) but are now solid and not wobbly.

Am running 5km roughly 3x a week and 10km once a week have been doing the 5km for over 6 months now.

trinni Thu 01-Sep-11 19:55:23

Wow forever, you're doing brilliantly!

I'm being much more careful with my diet but I don't really have loads to lose. I could do with getting rid of a stone. I eat at lunchtime (a sensible cooked meal at work) and have something very light in the evening.

Did you notice an inital 'pumping up' of your thighs - sort of making them feel bigger at about my stage of the game or is it just me?

I'm hoping, as time goes by, they'll slim down and tone up more. Is 6 weeks in, still early days for noticing results do you think?

foreverondiet Thu 01-Sep-11 21:23:11

I lose on thighs last. Have had to get BMI down to around 20 and body fat under 20% to get rid of the fat on my thighs. Thighs now very muscular, I guess to have skinny thighs I'd have to starve myself and do no exercise.

But yes muscle appeared on thighs before fat went, although the measurements did consistently drop.

trinni Thu 01-Sep-11 21:37:29

My BMI is 23 and has been lower, more like 20 in the recent past.

I gave up smoking just over a year ago and - say what you like - it does make a difference (to me anyway).

I will battle on nevertheless, and hopefully shift that stone with diet and exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now