Talk

Advanced search

Body fat scales - what are you?

(8 Posts)
tiggyhop Fri 26-Aug-11 01:09:36

Am 34% - according to google this is high. What about the rest of you?

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Fri 26-Aug-11 08:01:13

I dont weigh myself ... can you get scales that tell you the % but not your weight?

ZZMum Fri 26-Aug-11 09:42:09

40% - which is terrible...

talkingnonsense Fri 26-Aug-11 09:47:39

30% and would like to be less.

Joby1970 Fri 26-Aug-11 12:38:59

i wouldn't trust body fat scales - they are a blunt instrument for measuring body fat. look up on google the issues with them - remember something about it measuring you as a tube & obv you are not.

tiggyhop Fri 26-Aug-11 21:31:46

That was my thinking - I seem to get crazy measurements. Thanks Joby!

foreverondiet Mon 29-Aug-11 16:37:57

I am currently 18.5%-29% first thing in the morning. BMI is 20.5

It was 40% in October when my BMI was 30.

The % came down gradually as I lost weight etc. Inportant to keep on weighing at same time of day as impact of levels of hydration affect the reading. I only count the measurement first thing in morning after I've been to toilet and before I've eaten or drunk anything. The late afternoon measurement can be a lot lower (12%, and there is no way my body fat is that low).

FWIW as I have lost weight I have also had it checked in the gym by intructor with callipers and also myself with US navy method and its consistently been pretty close (within 2% with all three methods). ALL "easy" methods of body fat measurements (US navy method/callipers/scales) are blunt estimates.

The scales are great for measuring/checking that you are losing fat over time rather than muscle but its important to recognise that they don't necessary show your exact body fat %.

howto the scales also weight you, you'd be better investing in some callipers, they don't require you to weight yourself I don't think.

activate Mon 29-Aug-11 16:39:53

really?

why the fuck would I care?

If I'm healthy and happy with the way I look isn't this just another stupid target?

body fat index - pah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now