Talk

Advanced search

Body Pump. Convince me that it's not crap.

(17 Posts)
GeeinItLaldy Thu 25-Aug-11 21:12:37

I wanted to like Body Pump, I really did. After months of taking a sneaky peak into the class when going into the gym and thinking it looked too challenging for me, I finally screwed up the courage to go last night. And I feel likes a total waste of time.

I told the instrutor it was my first class and she advised me to stay at the lightest weights and take it easy because it was a tough full body workout and I would be aching afterwards. So I did as instructed but put a bit of effort in and...meh. Just meh. I feel like I would have expended as much energy watching TV. Barely broke a sweat and not so much as a muscle twinge today. Nada. The class itself was ok but I feel like I got nothing out of it at all. Am I doing it wrong? What should you feel like after a good body pump class?

So, do I stick with it or say fuck that for a game of soldiers and stay on the sofa eating kettle chips try something else instead.

Meglet Thu 25-Aug-11 21:15:20

oh, it's not crap.

Whack the weights up.

You won't be able to move the next day, or the next and possibly the next. You'll build muscle and change shape smile.

I haven't been in a couple of years (kids & work) and miss it dearly.

wellwisher Thu 25-Aug-11 21:34:40

Yes, you need some weight, even as a beginner. By the end of each track, your muscles should be screaming for the music to stop!

Also, technique is REALLY important in body pump and most people don't get it right. Position yourself where you can see the instructor and really listen to her. Hold your stomach in the whole time, using your abdominal muscles to support your back and maintain good posture, and keep checking yourself in the mirrors. Really think about the moves.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Fri 26-Aug-11 08:02:46

I love Body pump! and i hurt like hell the day after! I didnt sweat during the class though.

GeeinItLaldy Fri 26-Aug-11 20:56:20

Thanks. I'll give it another go this week and and whack up the weights. I do weights and kettlebells in the gym a couple of times a week so maybe I'm stronger than I think.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Fri 26-Aug-11 20:59:18

I love your nickname grin I say that often!

Moulesfrites Fri 26-Aug-11 21:04:43

Ooh no, sounds like you need heavier weights. The first time I ever did it I was shaking afterwards. I got in the car to drive home and could barely lift my arms up to the steering wheel. Every gear change was agony, I was so sore! I loved it, really saw the benefits, sadly my fitness has gone a bit tits up since I had ds 7 months ago! Stick with it!

goodasgold Fri 26-Aug-11 21:08:37

I prefer Body Attack. I like all the Les Mills classes, Bodypump is my worst.

GeeinItLaldy Fri 26-Aug-11 21:30:12

Glaikit, you actually sort of inspired my name. GeeinitLaldy is my second favourite scottish turn of phrase, behind AwfeeGlaikitLookin but as you already had the best name name using Glaikit, I went with Laldy grin

Heavier weights it is then.

good, my gym doesn't offer Body Attack. Although at the scandalous price they charge for membership they should bloody well put one on for me especially. There's a body combat class starting soon...is that similar?

goodasgold Fri 26-Aug-11 21:38:48

Bodycombat is more like Body Attack. I found BA very addictive. I should probably do a Pump class because I am a bit weedy and it would do me good.

I think that if you can get a place on the class the price is OK, if it was less the membership would increase and you would find that you can't always get a place on a class. Holmes Place you are guilty of this.

TheFarSide Fri 26-Aug-11 21:42:22

Don't just whack up the weights though OP - pay attention to the earlier poster who suggested making sure you get the technique right, otherwise you might do yourself an injury.

Our gym has a Body Pump technique class.

GeeinItLaldy Fri 26-Aug-11 22:04:52

Will do, Farside. Although it's a small class (there were only 6 of us in it) so the instructor was keeping a close eye on me and making sure I was getting it right.

Fair point, good. The reason I opted for this gym is that it's less busy and better equipped with more classes than the cheaper alternatives in the area. And I shouldn't moan really as DP pays for my membership.

foreverondiet Mon 29-Aug-11 16:41:24

Yes, a waste of time (other than to learn technique) with minimal weights.

Increase the weights gradually as you learn the technique, but if its a small class then don't worry about adding weights.

GeeinItLaldy Thu 01-Sep-11 12:13:47

Update...went to same Body Pump class last night, upped the weights, and when I got home, my arms were so weak I could barely lift my knife and fork to eat dinner. A bit of pain in legs and arms today but still feel like I need to increase the weights more on some muscle groups. Feeling more motivated to persevere with it, though.

RandomMess Thu 01-Sep-11 12:15:20

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

I did a body pump style class with just hand weights, first class was ok so 2nd class she worked is harder - barely made it home afterwards grin

foreverondiet Thu 01-Sep-11 16:24:13

Hahaha! But it does get easier.

I lift weights in the gym as well as body pump, and obviously the weights I lift in the gym are much heavier than the body pump weights as I only do 15 x 2 in the gym whereas bodypump you have to keep on going for 4-5 minutes per track! I have actually found that if even I use the heaviest weights I can (ie so that I can just about finish the full track) I don’t ache at all! But there is a huge difference in what I can lift eg 25kg bench press in the gym, only around 7.5kg bench press (and bar, ie 1.25 + 2.5 on each side) in body pump.

As I guide I lift (would be interested to hear from other regulars)

warm up: 2.5kg on each side
squats: 1.25 + 2.5 + 5 on each side
back: 5 + 1.25 on each side
chest: 1.25 + 2.5 on each side
tricep: 2.5 on each side
bicep: depends on track 2.5 + 1.25 or 2.5 on longer harder track
lunges: 5+1.25 on each side
shoulders: 2.5 on each side (or plates/dumbbells)

astronaut Mon 24-Oct-11 16:47:20

Hi foreverondiet

I do body pump 2 times a week & use these weights:
warm up: 3.5kg on each side + bar
squats: 6kg on each side + bar
back: 5kg each side + bar
chest: 3kg each side + bar
tricep: 2.5 each side + bar
bicep: 3.5 each side + bar
lunges: without weights
shoulders: no bar, use 2kg dumb bells each side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now