Talk

Advanced search

Does being overweight stop you from..

(21 Posts)
whatsallthehullaballoo Sun 21-Aug-11 15:38:55

wanting to have sex, go out, look in mirrors etc??

I feel completely un-like myself at the moment. I am 5ft 6 and weight 12 st 12 pounds. I have been bigger by 3 stones but have been in between 12 and 13 stone for 2 years and it's seriously damaging my self confidence. I don't even want to go shopping etc....

I need to lose 2 stone minimum. Trouble is I feel so low I cannot think of anything else but food. I was going to wait until sep when holidays had finished but I think I have to start much sooner than that.

jimswifein1964 Sun 21-Aug-11 15:39:47

yes sad

bigun1 Sun 21-Aug-11 15:41:47

yes it does.
I have stopped going out socially now and have had no photo taken of me for about 10 years now.

I feel like shit on the bottom of a slim persons shoe.

Debs75 Sun 21-Aug-11 15:44:46

I am about 14st ish and have been overweight for all my life. I managed to lose weight in my mid 20's and got down to 11st7 and to a dress size 16. I am an 18 now so I tend to hide my weight.
The only thing I can honestly say my weight has stopped me doing is wearing nicer clothes and showing my thunder thighs legs off.
When I reached 30 I was mad that I had spent my 20's being fat and when I got pregnant with dd2 I didn't like being fat.

I find I have no incentive to lose a few stone even though I know I should. and i think about food all the time and tend to eat so much i kno9w i will; only get better.

Lets get thinner together

whatsallthehullaballoo Sun 21-Aug-11 17:40:55

I have to do it!! I cannot live my life at all normally. I have to do it now that the children are beginning to suffer as I won't run round with them like I used to (not due to fitness but more a self conscious thing).

I have to do it. Anyone want to start with me???

Debs75 Sun 21-Aug-11 18:08:10

ok then how shall we melt off those pounds?

BigusBumus Sun 21-Aug-11 18:12:04

I've just lost 12lb in 2 weeks on the Cambridge plan. Its brilliant. I was 12st6 and want to be 10st6 which will take me from a 14/16 to a 12. Today I am 11.st8 and I am thrilled.
The thought of doing WW or SW again and only losing a pound a week is just too depressing. This way I could be at my goal weight in another month!
And THIS TIME, I'm NOT going to then just return to my old eating habits and get fat again. Its going to be for life.

huffythethreadslayer Sun 21-Aug-11 18:13:04

I was 14st 10 before dd arrived. I don't remember how big I got up to when I was pg with her, but when she was about 2, I got down to 12st 6. I'm nearly 6ft, so that's quite skinny minny for me and people were starting to tell me I was taking the weight loss thing too far. That's when I started to let the weight creep back on and now I'm (gulps) 15st 7lb. I seriously need to sort myself out.

I know how to do it. Put less in my mouth, take more exercise. That's what I did before. I just need to put my (fat) arse into gear and get started. Would love to join a thread for folks losing it....

whatsallthehullaballoo Sun 21-Aug-11 18:14:23

In my mind I have to stop binge eating in the hope that tomorrow I will be 'good'.

Tomorrow really does start tomorrow. Instead of binge eating I will go for a walk, do the ironing, read a book or knit a bloody jumper - ANYTHING but eat crappy food. I have to do it.

What are your weaknesses Debs??

Debs75 Sun 21-Aug-11 18:17:59

i love foodgrin
and i never seem to know when i am full or when i am hungry.
i eat because it is mealtimes not because i am hungry
i find it hard to leave food

whatsallthehullaballoo Sun 21-Aug-11 18:22:27

It is going to be hard for us debs.....because I try to stuff in as much as possible over the day I too have lost all sensation of hunger etc I just eat out of habit. Literally habit. It is stupid and controls everything about me at the moment.

I used to be 15 stone. I got down to 11.5 and now I am nearing 13 stone again.

Shaxx Sun 21-Aug-11 21:40:28

I can relate to what people are saiyng.
I feel like my life is on hold at the moment while I try to lose weight. I'm fairly active but I just eat too much.

I came across a link in the food section which is about the food and diet industry and how to lose weight we should be eating real food.
I definitely think that I'm a food addict and need to stop eating refined carbs and sugar. It isn't actually good for anyone let alone people trying to lose weight.

Its quite long so if you've got some time its really worth looking at.
I've also linked to her diet which I've done in the past and had some success with. I'm going to do it again this week. I'd love to have a buddy if anyone else is interested.

www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/content.php?763-Weston-A-Price-Conference-2011

www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/dieting/2009/07/26/the-five-day-bikini-blitz-diet-115875-21547673/

AngryFeet Sun 21-Aug-11 21:56:33

No I do not let it affect my life. I am 5ft 3 and 13stone and do want to lose weight but in the meantime I dress to suit my shape and have a very happy life. I do actually like my body even though I have a saggy tummy and huge bum! I have become happier with my body with age and it helps tp have a dh who is very vocal about how sexy he finds me at any size. I was out last night and got chatted up several times. I used to really care about what people thought but now I don't care if they think I am fat. I have so many other great qualities so who cares about a little extra weight? I think it is really really important to work on your self image as well as dieting. I lost 4 stone in 2008 (which annoyingly have put back on) but when I was 9 stone I sometimes still didn't feel happy with what I saw in the mirror which was crazy. I realised I needed to become happy with who I am above all else. I want to enjoy life so whether I am size 8 or 18 I am damn well going to keep going out and having fun and enjoying my sex life. Our bodies are so amazing, we really need to get past the pursuit of perfection. Yes lose weight to be healthy but you can look good and be happy at any size, you can also be unhappy at any size. Please don't base your lives on this sad

foreverondiet Sun 21-Aug-11 22:24:41

debs75 if you don't know if you are full or hungry, well this means you aren't hungry. When I was overweight I never ever felt hunger.

When I started to diet, if I wasn't sure if I was hungry I'd drink 500ml of water or a cup of herbal tea and check the time on the clock, and change what I was doing. I'd then reassess 30 mins later. I'd say it probably took 12+ hours of not eating to finally feel hungry.

Once I started dieting and counting calories (and eating unprocessed food) I felt hunger after 3-4 hours. But if I had a lapse say on saturday lunchtime and overate, it would probably take until sunday morning or even sunday lunchtime before I was actually hungry again.

Find Paul McKenna really helpful for this.

Shaxx Mon 22-Aug-11 06:42:47

I think the most important thing for me, and hardest as well, is to establish a 3 meals a day plan with one snack in the afternoon.
I can eat all day long some days and this is my downfall.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Mon 22-Aug-11 07:00:11

Yes, fatter I feel less I want to go out!

Debs75 Mon 22-Aug-11 11:46:26

OP do you feel brave enough to post what you normally eat during the week then we can try and help each other see where we are going wrong and give some suggestions?

I find if I honestly write down what I eat and let someone else see it then I will try harder and will think before scoffing that last bar of chocolate

whatsallthehullaballoo Mon 22-Aug-11 19:44:22

HI debs...well if I put what I normally eat I think anyone would see where I am going wrong!!

I can start a food diary from September. Trouble is I am on holidays at the moment and eating out a fair bit etc. These next two weeks I am focusing on not eating throughout the evenings. Then as of September (go back to work etc) I will be healthy eating. I usually lose a stone and then revert back to binging but this time I have to push past the stone and lose another....

How about you? Do you use fitnesspal??

Debs75 Tue 23-Aug-11 13:18:37

What is fitnesspal?

If you want to start in September then that's great I will help you as much as I can and we can push past those stones together.

whatsallthehullaballoo Tue 23-Aug-11 14:40:01

Debs - you have got a deal grin

Are you going to follow a plan or just try and be healthy? My aim is to establish 'normal' eating patterns and be healthy as much as possible. I will make dinner the last thing I eat instead of snacking throughout the evening.

Debs75 Wed 24-Aug-11 07:49:48

There is a Shapes healthy eating group near me which I might start at again. I lost 57lbs when I was pregnant with dd2 on their diet. I have probably put half of that back on since so it's time to go back.

I need to recognise portion sizes and to finish eating when i am hungry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now