Talk

Advanced search

Reasonable lengths?!

(6 Posts)
Fuzzled Wed 17-Aug-11 17:58:02

I'm huge. Just seen a photo. Size 18-20 at 5ft 1in. I can't deny it anymore. I know about cutting down my portions and will do - also started menu planning so I don't eat crap.

I'm planning to start swimming twice a week (if I can deforest my legs! grin) but what would you see as a reasonable length target (25m pool)?

I don't want to say 5 lengths and give up coz it's too easy - but I don't want to say 50 lengths and give up coz it's too hard.

Anyone got a clue?!

defineme Wed 17-Aug-11 18:04:01

It's really hard to say because I don't know you.

All I would say is that you need to do enough that you're tired out the first time and then increase it every week so you gradually build up.

Most people I know that swim for exercise do about 50, but I'd consider 20 a really good first go if you're unfit and overweight. I'd think 10 was the minimum!

I find watching the biggest loser very inspiring.
I have also found a low fat low carb the best diet foir losing weight without hunger pangs-but diets are dull and crap and there's no getting away from that!

Good luck!

foreverondiet Wed 17-Aug-11 18:05:54

I would say start with 20. My 7 year old DD can do that.
I could swim that in around 10 -12 minutes. Aim to do it in 20 minutes.

But focus on technique, no point in doing it with bad technique, may as well go walking!

Gradually over time try and increase to 50 or even 100 lengths.

Quodlibet Wed 17-Aug-11 18:06:15

This article might help?

As with any exercise you'll get more out of it if you aim to continually exceed your target. Why not start by getting in and doing it to the point of discomfort - let's say you get tired after 15 lengths. Then the next time use that as a benchmark and try to pop out a couple more lengths. You have to balance pushing yourself against keeping it enjoyable so build up bit by bit I reckon.

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 18:08:12

www.carbfree.wordpress.com

i was you

HeyH0 Wed 17-Aug-11 18:13:33

Swimfit have a number of different training plans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now